Raising rabbits ?!?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bhazell123, Nov 8, 2011.

1. bhazell123

bhazell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Welsh La
    Ok so I bought some rabbits around 5 or 6 months and well neither of them are getting pregnant [​IMG] I've tried both with two different males anyone have any idea on why there not getting pregnant ?

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    A few questions first...

How old are they? Too young/too old could be a factor.

Did you get the females from the same place? At what age did you purchase them? Was it possible the seller sold them for the same reason, that they couldn't conceive?

How frequently are you putting your does with your bucks?

What is your method? I introduce my girl into the male's cage, wait just a few minutes. He will be all over her like white on rice, and she will give in eventually. You know they have done the deed when the boy falls off to the side...it's comical if you haven't seen it before. And, of course, we never put a buck in a does cage.

3. bhazell123

bhazell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Welsh La
    Well I got them both from the same person there only around 6 / 7 months old and I just put the male with the female over night [​IMG] and I've see. Him dropping when he's done. And I have a week before she is due but she doesn't loom to big :-/

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Are you saying she is due in a week? Or has she gone past her due date? If she is still in the "expecting" range, then be sure to put her nest box in just in case. The reason to put the female in the male's cage is because the doe will defend her cage against the buck. Sometimes a doe can be too fat to concieve if given free feed.

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    This is what I have read. Take the female to the male's cage early in the morning. Leave her in there for 20 minutes. Take her out and return her to her own cage. 4 hours later, repeat the process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by