Raising Rare Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MissMomo, Mar 28, 2016.

1. MissMomo

MissMomo New Egg

Mar 27, 2016
    British Columbia, Canada
    Hello all! I'm interested in raising heritage/rare birds. There are two types I particularly like but as they are rare and/or heritage I'm not sure what to do about breeding. I would like to have Type A and Type B together, including 2 Roosters if they get along. But I'm not sure about breeding because I've never been breed specific before. I don't want Rooster A breeding Type B chickens and creating a crossbreed, or vice versa if that makes sense. Do any of you raise two distinct breeds and manage to keep them that way? How do you separate or appropriately time the separation so that you can maintain the two separate breeds? I'm new to anything but a handful of Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, bantams, etc. so if this is a silly question, cut a newbie some slack ;) Thanks!

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    If you mix a flock, you're going to mix a flock. Breed A Rooster will mate with Breed B hens unless you have them separated by physical boundaries. Generally, keeping 2 breed bloodlines true means having them in different enclosures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by