Raising Roosters to Butcher

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Thedukelife, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Thedukelife

Thedukelife Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2016
    Does anyone know an organic way to feed roosters to bulk them up before butchering?

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Well, I just butchered 2 dual purpose breed roosters that were 35 weeks old, together the two of them weighed just short of five pounds:/. I fed them soy free, non GMO feed for their whole life, and they had access to fresh grass the whole time. Feed yours free choice to hopefully fatten them up a bit.

3. Thedukelife

Oct 30, 2016
    What type of chickens ere they? Like what breed?

4. Thedukelife

Oct 30, 2016
    Cause in the past I have butchered roosters and I think one of them was less than two years old and weighed about 5 pounds himself

5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    If you are going to raise rooster to butch, my recommend start a flock of Bresse. You just feed them like other breed of the chicken. The cost is the same and taste great.

1 person likes this.
  6. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I process mine at about 5 months and they're usually 3-4 pounds and delicious!! Their breasts tend to be smaller than meat birds like Cornishx, but they have great dark meat and they're healthy and active until their last day. I just feed about 21% protein non-GMO feed plus treats like BOSS, probiotics, veggie scraps, and they forage in their tractor (moved every couple of days). My cockerels are barnyard mixes I hatch myself, and are usually New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red, Black Australorp, Gold or Silver Laced Wyandotte.

7. Thedukelife

Oct 30, 2016
    Awesome! Thanks FoodFreedomNow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by