Raising roosters together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by detroit313, Nov 3, 2009.

1. detroit313

detroit313 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    How can I raise roosters together without them fighting?? Or is it just in their nature to fight till death?? I have two little cockrels that were going at it and there was blood. I want to keep both of them. Is there a way to make them more friendly with each other?? I have seen pictures of roosters being raised together and grazing together and was just wondering how to come about doing this.

2. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Hmmm, I have 3 silkie roosters and they never fight. They may show dominance once and a while but nothing real aggressive like.They have been raised together from the beginning. It may be the species of chickens also.
    Sorry I wasn't much help. Good luck!!

3. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    What kind of breed? How old? I tried to keep my Buff Orpington with my Dominique. But the Orpington would chase him around. I had to move him.

4. detroit313

detroit313 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    They are 13 weeks old. And they are a cross between a RIR Bantam and Gamefowl Mix

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Hmmm, I think the game fowls tend to fight more & more fiercely than other breeds. Many roos will settle their arguments without bloodshed, just posing & posturing until one calls it quits. But some birds, and some times, they'll beat each other bloody, and sometimes really bloody. I think the combination of RIR, bantam, & game fowl genes will cause these guys to "take it outside" more than other birds.

6. osukrazykate

osukrazykate Chillin' With My Peeps

My roosters have been fine together and no real problems until this week two of my silkie roosters were going at it for a while. I don't normally intervene but when I noticed they were still going at it and they both had drawn blood on each other I decided to separate the two. However, I did leave one with the rest of the group and the one that was weaker I separated him from the rest of the flock and gave him his own hen. I am going to may try and put them back with the flock tomorrow. It really only seemed that these two had a problem with each other, but not too much of problems with my other roosters. Maybe it is a personality thing like us humans sometimes have.

7. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Hens are lovely, but the roosters have always been my favorites. Their macho antics are always amusing. Some breeds are more tempermental than others, so I have always rehomed the hot tempered ones for the good of all.

I kept 2 Bantam Salmon Faverolles roosters this year, they are only 4 mths old now & still getting along fine with one being the more dominant. When we built their coop this year, I designed it to be able to section it & the large fully fenced yard off in the middle for 2 seperate areas. Faverolles are generally docile & I want to keep both of them, so I am prepared to deal with the day that fighting will force their seperation. Once their natural instincts kick in to be the mighty warriors that they are meant to be for protecting the flock, there will be no turning back & they will each need their own coops & hens to protect if they can't get along. Meanwhile, we will all just enjoy the bliss of their youth.

Here they are at around 2 1/2 mths old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I have a pen with twenty cockerels and roosters in it right now. There is always a certain amount of low level bickering, but no serious fighting. Some breeds can be hard to live with though.

.....Alan.

9. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Right, like A. T. Hagan, I also have a pen of roos that are low to medium aggressive; they have an orderly system of pecking order. But for the hen's coop, I like to keep the stress levels low; it's all about the eggs for them & all about whatever keeps them calm for me.

10. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have 3 red pyle roos and the two oldest had to be seperated first part of this week. Any one in Nebraska interested in a Red Pyle roo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by