Raising Roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Laci7210, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Laci7210

Laci7210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    I am ordering chicks from Hoover's hatchery, and i wanted to rescue a couple roosters. I dont need roosters, because I already have some with my hens, but I wanted to rescue them to atleast let them live. Would they fight if they grew up together? Can I let the roosters free range or will that not work either?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    'Rescuing' roosters is noble in theory, but in the long run may cause more problems than good.

3. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Agreed.

There are just too many roosters. We know its not a nice thought, but they are basically useless for anything other than breeding & producing meat (exceptions are those beloved pets of course)

I thought I wouldn't end up culling roosters. That was 8 months ago & so far I've killed 4 & re-homed only 1. Just 1 roo. Nobody wants them & even when they do, often they have to consider their neighbors. Even my one rooster is currently sleeping in the dog bed in the kitchen (with the dogs) now because he needs bringing indoors every night because I have close neighbors.

I personally, would do it if you KNOW you can (Its just 2 roosters), but if your not 100% sure, then your just setting yourself up for heartache.

Whether or not the boy fight depends on breed, number of hens & the roosters individual personalities.

Nobody will give you a guarantee that it will be fine, just research & do your best if its something your heart is set on.

Good Luck & Wishing You The Best [​IMG]

4. Laci7210

Laci7210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    Ok thanks guys! I will wait and when I have a bigger place, I will rescue them. I don't have any close neighbors, and if I did, they would already be complaining because I have a few roos already. Me and my best friend are going to start a rescue for all animals in a few years, so I'll do it then. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by