Raising Silkie Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thetmoo, Apr 3, 2017.

1. thetmoo

thetmoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    I am about to get some 3 day old silkie chicks. I have raised several sets of regular egg laying chicks, but these are my first silkies and bantams. Anything I need to do differently or watch out for with the tiny little creatures?

2. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Have fun with them! Silkies are so enjoyable to watch grow up. I would just be very careful to protect them from getting wet -mine hate it and it can make them sick, since they don't dry well.

Also, be really proactive in preventing mites! Mine managed to pick up an infestation somehow and they were a huge pain to get rid of. I couldn't do it with just the powders, I couldn't get it between the feathers well enough.

However, I did use some flea/tick shampoo made for dogs (the gentlest, most natural I could find and VERY careful around the face) and bathed them in my sink and the bugs haven't come back! They were calmer about the blow-dryer than my poodle. Whole process took maybe 15 minutes, so don't worry if you need to do it. But I'd still rather prevent it than treat. This was when they were a few months old.

One other thing, not really advice, just something I thought was fun -they seem to have really strong personalities. My two are so funny. The white rooster is so relaxed and zen, he's great for kids to hold and all that. And then the tiny brown hen is the sassiest lady who will purposefully ambush my dog! Even if they weren't so cute, their personalities make watching them really fun.

Good luck, and enjoy your fluffy birds. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by