Raising silkies.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jacqueline Harris, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Jacqueline Harris

Jacqueline Harris Hatching

Jun 25, 2017
    I have been raising silkies for about a year for just a hobby or past time. Have lots of questions but a couple in particular. 1) I have a buff silkie with a red cone. Is that normal bc I red that always have a mulberry color. 2) I'm wanted to get some white crested black polish chickens. Will they get along with my silkies?

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Welcome, I have no clue about the comb color. That is an extremely adorable little chicken though. Generally silkies and polish get along fine as both are handicapped by their crests. The roosters of both breeds can be hit or miss as far as behaving themselves.

3. Jacqueline Harris

Jun 25, 2017
    Thank you. So will the polish chicken roost like a regular chicken or stay down low like a silkie? And are they a bigger chicken than a silkie?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    There are bantam polish and standard, though the standard isn't very big as far as weight. My polish roost very high in my shed. They can fly fairly good for a chicken, and mine forage quite well too. They are a bit more busy than silkies in my experiences. Silkies are more quiet, and not as reactive as polish.

5. Jacqueline Harris

Jun 25, 2017
    Thanks for the information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: