Raising silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PitbullChick, Dec 17, 2012.

1. PitbullChick

PitbullChick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2012
    I am thinking about raising silkies. I have only had one in my lifetime and he was the meanest little chicken,he was a blueish color. But anyways,is there anyone here that raises them that could give me some more info on it? Also,them being small do they eat less than a normal chicken?

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Silkies are usually docile around humans unless something in their life has made them turn mean. There is not much meat on a silkie, and the eggs are small. The local asian people consider them to be a special meal. They go broody often and are rather vulnerable to predators at all times.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    They generally make really good pets and are good with children and friendly towards humans but they can be sort of oddly aggressive towards other animals. My hen will follow my pit bull around and "attack" her. She is so small the dog doesn't really notice. They tend not to roost or jump up much so they need things to be low for them. I would be sure to get more than one so they can sleep together on the ground or a very low roost. Very broody and very poor layers. Hilarious though.

My flock is mixed so I am not really certain how much feed she consumes compared to her large fowl roommates but when it comes to snacks she is a little pig like the rest of them.

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]I love my silkie her name is butter and I hatched her , she is super sweet and will sit and chill with me she dosnt mind my cat at all and seems to want to make friends with my other chickens but the other hens attack her. She is my most relaxed and mellow chicken , her feet get dirty and I had to trim the fluff around her eyes a tiny bit but other then that she seems fairly normal chickeny , I dont know about roosting as she has a bum leg .

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Really cute picture.

Also, they don't really scratch around much so you may need to occasionally trim their nails. But, it's very easy. Exactly like a dog - I even just use the dog clippers.

6. PitbullChick

Dec 14, 2012
    Okay thanks! I think they are the best looking breed of chicken IMO,and would love to breed them,but I can only order straight run from what I have seen,what hatchery has the best quality silkies?.Oh well I guess I will give it a shot anyways. Also,how much space do they need? Im going to get 2 or 3 to start with and get 2 RIR's so I can have eggs and I have a good size building so I should have room for them all.

I got mine from a swap days in Ohio,he/she was $5 and SO mean,I had to feed it through the bars,I sold him. But I have seen others of the breed and none acted like him.

7. aaajjss1

aaajjss1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    Where are you located at?

8. PitbullChick

Dec 14, 2012
    Eastern KY,where no one has good chickens [​IMG]

9. moncktj

moncktj Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    most of my chickens are very freindly but i had one that was broody and got out of the pen and attacked my brother

10. aaajjss1

aaajjss1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    To bad you are so far from me i have very cute silkies! I have lots of chicks right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by