Raising silver sebrights

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hidden Blessings Farm, May 18, 2009.

1. Hidden Blessings Farm

Hidden Blessings Farm Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Camden, Arkansas
    I recently purchased 8 silver sebright chicks. I was told that they are very hard to raise. I lost one chick the first week then during the second week all but two died over night. Now its been a little over two weeks and I only have one left. What am i doing wrong? I have alot of chicks that I have hatched and raised what makes sebrights so hard to raise?

2. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Give it some sugar water and electrolytes to give it a boost to see if that can help

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Losing several overnight makes me wonder if you are keeping them warm enough.

Also, what are you feeding them?

Do you have them indoors or in a shed/coop setup?

4. Hidden Blessings Farm

May 18, 2009
    Camden, Arkansas
    Well I have them in my house in a large rubermaid container with a lightbulb. I cut the lid and put wire and i hung the bulb from the wire into the box. They never huddled under the light like they were cold or anything. I am feeding them starter/grower like i always do my chicks. I lose very few chicks the way I have been brooding so I dont know whats going on with them.

5. enola

If they were not sleeping under the light, it was probably to hot. Try moving the light up some and see if they will sleep under it then. If they are getting too hot, then they may be dehydrating. Dehydration is a no-no in the chick world.

6. Hidden Blessings Farm

May 18, 2009
    Camden, Arkansas
    that definitely makes sense. Thank you!! So is it normally very difficult to raise sebrights? I already have $20 invested in those first 8 chicks and only one surviving so far.

7. enola

I have never had Sebrights, so I can't say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by