Raising single chick...what do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MamaMarcy, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Please help me figure this out. I had 9 wyandotte eggs, and only 2 made it to day 21. One died (malformations) and the other hatched htis morning (day 23)

We have our main coop with ducks & hens, our "dorm room" with brooding light for "teenagers" and the brooding box for babies. I had planned to transfer these new chicks to the brooder together, which means moving the 2 in the brooding box to the dorm. However, our roo got bet up and is in the dorm right now in isolation while he heals - I can move him to the run part of the dorm and go head as planned.

my concern is that the 2 in the brooding box are attached, and I'm not sure if I should try to put the new peep in with them or not. One is runty silkie and VERY small, the other is a cuckoo maran (sp?) and 3 weeks old. I trust the new peep would be fine with the runty guy size wise, but the 3 week average size? So either all 2 together, or the runty silkie with the new peep with the CM alone, or the runty silkie & CM together in the dorm with the peep lone in the brooder.

Ideas? Of course if I had it my way the peep would sleep with me LOL.

THANKS!!!

2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    I'd say put them together, but stick around for the first hour or so and see if any excessive bullying takes place. That way you can pull the little one out before he/she gets in too much trouble.

3. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I have mixed chicks 3 weeks apart already with good results. The silkie will definitely be fine, just watch the other one- if it is a marans I find them to be very easy going and would not expect it to be aggresive. I would combine chicks because 1 by itself would be very lonely [​IMG]

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

Trish

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Can you maybe temporarily separate the brooder, put up a wire partition or create a space for the new chick to stay a couple of days, but where they can see each other? It's possible they will get along fine, but a couple of days of seeing each other without contact may work a bit better.

Good luck!

5. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I had the same sort of situation, a pair of chicks at a week old and then only one egg hatched from my next batch. I put in a wire partition as new chick was only a third of the size of the pair. Little chick then spent all its time and energy getting stuck in the wire partition and finding its way through, round, under and over trying desperately to get to the bigger chicks.
    After I had got it out of a tight squeeze for the fifth time in as many minutes, I removed the partition and they all got on fine. Little chick is actually a real pest to the bigger chicks as it treats them like mum, trying to get on and under them all the time.

Someone said to me, under 4 weeks, mixing chicks isn't an issue normally. Good luck with yours. [​IMG]

6. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Thanks everyone! I'm about to take her out now that she's dry, but having sepration anxiety [​IMG]

7. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    well, I put baby in with the silie and Cuckoo Maran. The silkie I suspect may be a dwarf (beyond just being a bantam). She's literally not even twice the size of the new wyandotte chick & 3 1/2 weeks old. I put the c.m. in the heated tiny hen house by herself, just for fear of her being larger and she's doing fine (she has our roo on the other side of the wall). So new baby and silkie haave been together about 90 min and are cuddled up together (awwwww!)

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Great story. Im a sucker for good endings. [​IMG]

9. Elbowmarie

Elbowmarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    The 'burg
    My first chick was a singleton (somehow the duck ended up with the egg in her nest?- no broody hens to be found!) I kept her in a box in the kitchen with a mirror (bigger than a budgie mirror) sometimes two mirrors, propped up against the sides of the box for the first few weeks. She slept beside the mirror and sang to it all the time.. super super cute. When she got older she made friends with the rabbit. I just got a second hen last week, and after a day of playing chicken around the other hen, has become best buds with the new girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by