Raising the runt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by almount92, Apr 4, 2018.

1. almount92

almount92 In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2018
    Connecticut
    Hi everyone.
    I've had quite a poor start to my second ever chicks.
    Out of Nine modern game bantams....I have three healthy chicks and one depressed runt.

The runt, Dusty, is a bit smaller and totally disinterested in nearly everything.
    She is drinking a tiny bit. She pecks feed that's fallen on to the paper towels but it doesn't look like she's actually eating any of it.

The other chicks are active, playing, eating, ect and Dusty is just standing by to watch with her head tucked in to her body. She's not cold and has plenty of room away from the other three. She sleeps a lot more and hardly moves away if I go to pick her up. If she's going to eat or drink and the others walk up, she'll turn away even if they don't bother her.

They have the save a chick mix in their water but she drinks so little I'm not sure it is or will help.

This morning when I came to check on them she was on her back. I helped her up and now she's back to how she was. It's like she's in slow motion. She'll stretch her wing and leg and then leave them stretched out for an extended period.

They are 6-7 days old.

Thanks for reading the novel. Any help of suggestions would be wonderful. IMG_20180404_064959.jpg

Attached Files:

2. have you looked closly at her legs? they might be hurting her

3. almount92

almount92 In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2018
    Connecticut
    Growing pains?
    Her legs look normal. Maybe the tiniest bit on the dry side.
    She can walk around fine..

4. okay..... possibly scaley leg mite.... can you please get a close up of her leg for me asap?

5. almount92

almount92 In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2018
    Connecticut
    IMG_20180404_073101.jpg

• Raised scales on the legs
    • Crusty legs
    • Lameness (severe cases)
    • In the early stages of the infection the chicken will have mild irritation. It takes several months of infection before the scales on the legs start to lift.
    she have any of these symptoms?

6. almount92

almount92 In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2018
    Connecticut
    I would not think so. Maybe is super early stages?
    She moves fine but is just call about it and doesn't run around.

7. hmm does she seem sensitive to you touching her legs?

8. almount92

almount92 In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2018
    Connecticut
    No. Not at all

9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello..It might actually need more heat..Can you set it up to where it's a bit warmer for that chick but so the others can get out of the heat. Cold chicks don't move around much..Best wishes..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: