Raising them Naturally w/pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Omeletta, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I received these 6 chicks from a school hatch. They were incubated in the classroom, but were never stuck under a heat lamp. They are a week old. My living room temp is about 65 degrees, right now they are outside. No pasty butt, no shivering...healthy chicks....weird!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I provided shade on the other side of the tractor, temp outside right now is 16 degrees celsius, or 60.8 F . Anybody have similar stories of chicks doing well not regimented at 95F, then 90 F, and so on?

Tanya

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Super cute! They look like plump healthy little fluff balls!

I know someone else posted about raising naturally as well, but I do not remember which part of the forum that it was on.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I havent had mine on a strict temp.
    I have no idea how warm it is in the brooder. Only that when I put a 75wt bulb in they piled on top of each other. changed to the 250 and they were obviously uncomfortable/hot. Switched to a 100wt bulb and all is fine:) Brooder is big enough so they can get away from the lamp if they want.
    It hasnt been that warm out so they still have a heat lamp(100wt) on.
    They are all happy, healthy and thriving. So, for a first time chicken owner I must be doing something right![​IMG]

4. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Those are so cute. Nice pictures. [​IMG]

You must be doing everything right for those little chicks!! I wonder about the brooder lamp, too, because when chicks run around with their mothers they don't always sit under her wings to get warm constantly.....Hmmmmmm

5. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    I keep a light on in the room they're in but not over them. It's 75 to 80 degrees in there and they are a week old and doing great.
    Not as much a difference from the 60 degrees you're chicks are experiencing but I think you're on to something.

Nice pics and nice chicks!

6. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Oh how cute. [​IMG]

7. Omeletta

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    They have been outside for 4 hours now, and are doing great! Eating bugs, yanking dandylions around, napping, pecking at the grass and eating small sand granules. If I found that they weren't doing well, I would haul them in. I have a heat lamp handy, just in case. These babies seem to be doing well without any of my hovering and pampering.

I'll continue to post their 'up-bringing' lol.

Tanya

8. Omeletta

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    The babies have been outside for 5 hours now. They are doing well, no signs of stress or pasty butt. They are eating and drinking and foraging. I plan to leave them out all day (there are clouds rolling in, so I will be watching) then bring them in for the night.

Tomorrows plan is to have them out all day within site of the established hens. They have already met each other through the poultry netting. It went well. More pics to come later...

Tanya

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Great job Omeletta/Tanya - I think you've visited some of my threads where I show raising mine naturally. At 65 degrees and sunshine they go outside on grass and have a great time. Bring them in at night and give a little heat lamp - I use a 75 watt bulb in hutch. I get healthy happy chicks that feather quickly and beautifully and seem to develop healthier immune systems since I've never had one get sick.

Edited to add: There's just something special about that sunshine. [​IMG]

10. Omeletta

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey, Ruth! I have posted on your threads before, I really enjoy what you have had to say about naturally raising your animals. Even with a few losses, they are happier and healthier.

These babies actually haven't had any heat lamp at all. Not from birth. After they dried out, they were put in a box with shredded paper, food and water. Thats it! Since I got them, I have put them in a dog crate at night (protection from the other house pets) with pine shavings, food and water. No heat source at all. Like I said, no shivering or pasty butt, though it is summery temps 55F and higher. (55F in the evenings, warming to about 80-85F during the day) And sun, sun, sun! They love the sun!

I am really enjoying having these babies, I was not expecting them, and they were kind of dumped in my lap! (a very happy lap, that's for sure!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by