Raising Turkens & Sultans

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cathunter10, Nov 26, 2010.

1. cathunter10

cathunter10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    Any one have experiance with these two breeds How hard are they to raise,Are they canalblestic,Co the Sultans need to be kept on wire to keep there legs out of the mud when it rains?Any other imformation on these two breeds will be very helpfull.
    Thank You
    Bill

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have turkens, but not sultans. I do have a couple different feather-legged breeds - brahmas, salmon faverolles and silkies. My birds free range and I've never noticed a problem with mud and their feathered feet. They get dirty and they get clean again.

Turkens are very easy to raise, very smart and curious birds. As an added bonus, turkens are immune to a great many chicken diseases.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I've raised Naked Necks before. . . They're not cold hardy at all, at least hatchery quality ones aren't, but they're VERY sweet and friendly. You honestly don't have to worry about cannibalism though. [​IMG]

As for Sultans, never had them, but we do have Polish and feather-footed breeds like Marans and Brahmas. All three deal with our heavy rain, muck, and year-round low temperatures quite well. I hear Sultans aren't very hardy though, but, who knows. . .

4. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I have a white Sultan pullet. She has made it through our horribly muddy Rhode Island Spring and super hot Summer and so far, she is dealing with the Fall along with the other 3 bantams. 2 of the 3 bantams are cochins. The Sultan and cochins have never had an issue with dirty feet. Yes, when it rains, the feet feathers do get a bit dirty, but not so much that they need to be on wire.
    I am HUGELY against keeping birds on wire. It isn't healthy for their feet and really....it can't be comfortable. I would never subject a chicken to unending torture just so I can have birds with pretty feet.
    Shaving on the floor in the coop, sand in the run and lots of grass and mulch to free range during the day. This is my recipe for clean, happy hens!

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Looks like you got feedback on the Turks and one good one on the Sultan. I'll add to the latter.

No chicken is 'cannibalistic' from the start. That's a habit that can be picked up, not only because it's 'in their history' but it usually occurs when under certain circumstances. (Examples: overcrowding, too little protein, bordem, and crested birds). The last could be problematic for you. Because Sultans have a top-hat, they are especially victimized in the chicken-world. Usually. Not always. Under good flock management, feather-picking (leading to cannibalism) can usually be avoided. I've owned Sultans, Silkies, Polish, and other cresteds. I've experienced my share of feather-picking. It's not fun. You can take the risk but be aware that once it starts, it's hard to get rid of.

Ironically, I heard that keeping these two breeds (Turks and Sults) together can be less of an issue. I read in a book that Turkens require a bit less protein than the average chicken because of the lack of feathers on their necks. In which case, if a Turken starts picking on another chicken, you know lack of protein is most likely not a reason why. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Sultans-specific, these birds tend to be on the fragile side. Not amazingly hardy. But they do okay. I never kept any of my birds on wire caging and they all do fine. They get dirty scratching around in the dirt but it's a chicken's life. Just the same, my Sultans have always been diva-chickens. They don't prefer to get messy when they can avoid it.

For the positives: Sultans are sweet, gentle birds. [​IMG] They cling to their owners if handled often and form decent-enough relationships with other chickens (haven't had any bad bullies). They're my favorite breed.

6. cathunter10

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    Thanks guys for the replys You all have been very helpfull,The turks I will be getting next week and the sultans I will get in April.I will keep you all updated.
    Bill

7. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Where are you getting your Sultans from? I am currently on the hunt for NON hatchery Sultans. Especially the black or blue variety.

8. cathunter10

Apr 24, 2010
    Piedmont, MO.
    We have bought all the Sultans that this 1 sweet older lady had. She is getting out of the business. We Do Not know where she got hers at. But we Will have baby chick/or eggs next season, since she has already has the brood stock sold, we are buying the left over eggs And a unrelated pair from her last batch. The eggs are in the incubator as we speak.We started with 14 eggs and after 12 days looks like we have 12 fertal. I am not sure where else you can aquire Non- hatchery eggs, but will keep a look out for ya.

Bill

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  9. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    My bantam sultan is doing great in the cold wet muddy Michigan weather. I have all feather footed bantams, and they do get wet. However when it's really wet and cold I keep a ceramic heat lamp on in the coop so their feathers dry out and no one will get chilled. I would never keep them on wire. My sultan girl loves to scratch and forage as much as her cochin and d'uccle sisters (the d'uccles forage really well too)

I too would love to find some bantam sultan hatching eggs, I know the hatcheries sell them in the spring, but would really LOVE bantam blacks or chocolates!
    Just wishful thinking? probably, I've never seen or heard of anyone in the states with colors other than white.

10. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I have a wood floor on my coop with wire mesh over it to keep out mice and stuff but I use the deep litter metode so they are never on the wire. It is there just to keep critters out!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by