Raising turkeys chicks from day 1

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by purecountrychicken, Apr 29, 2011.

1. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Im getting 12 turkey chicks this weekend and I need to know if they are like chickens,,do they need a heat lamp. Do I just do the same thing I do for chickens?

Thanks

2. burntmuch

burntmuch In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    I cant answer your questions. Im gonna be doing a few turkeys this summer, So Im gonna tagalong here.

3. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Songster

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    Yep, same as you would do for chickens, except that you'll need to feed them a higher protein food, like gamebird starter. Heat lamp, brooder, food and water, some shavings in the bottom, and you're all set.

4. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Songster

Mar 29, 2011
    Some people claim turkeys are hard to get them to eat. I don't have that problem if I spinkle the food (28-30% protein, gamebird/turkey starter) all over the bottom of the brooder. Do not use shaving unless you cover it with paper towels while you teach them to eat. They will also need more care in dipping there beaks often in sugar water. I like to add gatorade to the water and put something shinny in the water like foil or marbles. Some also0 feed egg yolk. Mine never ate it, but I here some like it. Turkeys are a little harder to raise than chickens but if you keep a close eye on them you will do fine. Turkey do not have a immune system until they are about 12 weeks old. Many people wait that long before putting them outside. I like to wait as long as I can before they touch dirt. Mine first go outside on cement patio.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  5. deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  6. TheBoSoxBabeGoesCountry

TheBoSoxBabeGoesCountry In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    Little Rock
    Thank you Steve that artical helped some. I too am starting to raise turkey poults and needed a bit of info as I just got them this morning in the mail!!

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Just reference Steve's article and you'll have no problems.

Excellend info Steve. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: