Raising Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by wefroggy, Dec 26, 2009.

1. wefroggy

wefroggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, so not chicks but poults, but I was looking for some help from those who have come before.
    I am thinking of getting poults this coming spring and I want to keep them pastured with indoor space available to them at night. I have electric net fencing for them, but my question is... will they fly over the net? I am thinking of either Narragansett or Royal Palms. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I have a few different breeds,& my Royal Palms are the leanest & flightiest of all. I would stick to a heavier breed or clip a wing on the R P.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I am trying electrified netting with my Bourbon Reds this week. I learned from another BYC-er with turkeys that he first clipped their wings (2 or 3 times) over a couple months, in conjunction with the electrified netting. He said they couldn't fly over and then even though he stopped clipping the wings, they just assumed they couldn't fly over netting! He said his turkeys will walk out the gate out of the netting area, and then fly once they're out. They have been trained with this method to associate the netting with something they cannot fly over. I'm going to try it and I'll let you all know how it works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by