raising turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ydalhsif, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ydalhsif

ydalhsif Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    bastrop
    i am thinking about getting turkeys. are they hard to raise? i have raised guineas,chickens,ducks, and geese.

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    That depends on who you ask... a lot of folks will tell you that they are delicate and hard to start. I have always treated them like chicken chicks. [​IMG] it's worked for me for the 17 years.

3. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    We started to raise turkeys in March and haven't regretted a minute of it, apart, perhaps, from the day when a poult died through my own stupidity.

I can't compare turkey rearing with any other kind of poultry but the basic principle seems to be to protect the newly hatched from the elements for at least eight weeks and feed them a high protein diet. So far, we haven't used an incubator. The hens have set and one of them was selected to be mother to the chicks. That relieved us of the job of teaching them to feed and standing with our necks twisted to one side looking for birds of prey. [​IMG] You can't beat natural childbirth. [​IMG]

4. Giammona farm

Giammona farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Point Reyes Station, CA
    Wild turkeys seem to be the hardest animals I have ever raised but domesticated ones seem a lot easier.

5. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    After reading and hearing about how hard turkeys were to start and how fragile they were, I was hesitant. But after trying it, I felt terribly misled. I have found turkeys quite easy to start. Sprinkle some food on newspaper, dip their bill in the water and away they go. I had some mortality this year, I lost two poults suddenly at about one week, and had one that never got larger than a tennis ball and finally died. But I have 14 very entertaining birds left. I hope I am never without turkeys again. I'd give up all of our layering hens first! [​IMG]

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

As easy as chickens.
    [​IMG]

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Just be a good steward to your turkeys and they'll do fine. I have two BBB's, which convinced me to get some Naragansetts. The hen and tom BBB's start yelping once they see me, and yelp louder if I don't pay them attention. Butcher day will be a bit hard for those two, and hard on me as well. Great birds, and not as dumb as you would think.

8. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    I got my first turkeys last August and i love them and wish i would have had turkeys for years before this. I really dont think they are that hard to raise at all. I also heard horror stories about starting them but i really haven't run into any problems myself. If youve rasied all those other things, you should be just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by