Raising two batches of chicks, how do I switch food?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jbdarr, Jun 20, 2011.

1. jbdarr

jbdarr New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    Have a few weeks to go before this is an issue, but here is my problem. I have 7 Buff Orpingtons that are 12 weeks old. I have 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Plymouth that are coming up on 6 weeks old. Soon when the Orps start laying, I need to switch to layer food. But the youngsters need to stay on starter. Do I need to keep them segregated until both batches start laying? I was hoping to integrate them sooner than later. Any suggestions?

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    flock raiser

I have chicks from age 1 week - 12 weeks old. From 4 weeks and up they get scratch and flock raiser along with a few layer pellets mixed in. I mix it all up and feed--all my birds eat together (chickens, ducks, and turkeys)

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Flock Raiser indeed. It doesn't have calcium, so the hens will have to be provided shells, but no biggie.

Flock Raiser is absolutely our birds favorite feed, but the cost is higher, sometimes by quite a bit.

4. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    I have never had a problem switching foods ... I just switched and that was that no problems. [​IMG]

5. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Fred's Hens :

Flock Raiser indeed. It doesn't have calcium, so the hens will have to be provided shells, but no biggie.

Flock Raiser is absolutely our birds favorite feed, but the cost is higher, sometimes by quite a bit.

yes it depends on where you get it. Even though it is made my Purina. The last I bought was $13.25 for a 50lb bag but I have seen it up to $19 at the farm and home type stores that mark everything up.​

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Grower and Layer both have about 16% protein. If you compare the labels and look at the analysis, the only significant difference is the calcium. So you can feed them all Grower and offer oyster shell on the side. They all get the nutrition they need and the laying ones that need extra calcium for the egg shells get the calcium they need.

You can feed then higher protein feed if you want to but they really don't need it. The only rule is to not feed Layer to growing chicks because the extra calcium can damage their developing bones and kidneys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by