1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising while also Profiting from Chickens??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peep-Chicken, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    What are some options I can use to make a some money off my flock? Selling chicks maybe? I just don't seem to be making money off them...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. chickengirl1230

chickengirl1230 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, probably the best way to make money off chickens is selling their eggs and selling chicks. After you get the chicks or hatch them, keep them for a few weeks or months and sell them. People will give more for older ones. The older they are, the more they're worth. Hope this helps ;)

2 people like this.
  3. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks!

4. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    It also depends on how many you have, how regular they lay, how effective your rooster is at his "business" and how much you can cut down on feed bills vs how much you plan (hope) to make. Eggs are also a great seller. Backyard eggs here sell for $5 a dozen, chicks sell for $3 each and they get sold in a hurry. We could easily incubate 40 eggs from our flock and sell them all as 2-3 week old chicks, straight run, in a matter of hours on a Saturday. If you have the space for multiple incubators, the time to manage all that and the space to house the chicks as well as enough hens to produce the eggs in quantity you could probably make some rather nice spending money every month.

Luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    That was helpful, thanks!

6. jmorgan71587

jmorgan71587 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2015
    Selling fertile hatching eggs on eBay!!!!

7. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Great idea! Thanks!

8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

This topic comes up fairly often, do a search.

I think the most profitable for backyarders is to have a desirable breed and to sell their fertile eggs.

Best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  9. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks, I'll priobaly combine all of the above with this :)

10. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    As 1 of the users stated,it depends on how the rooster feels.Most roosters can fertilize,but you may never know what can happen,not only this,the hen has to be willing to sit and let him mate with her.

Selling eggs are a much better source to sell.Depending on how many birds you have,and if they lay regulary(EVERY DAY).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by