Raisins okay for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by earthfriendlyfarm, Sep 20, 2010.

1. earthfriendlyfarm

earthfriendlyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Ellijay
    I looked at the treats chart. Very helpful. But in the raisins section there is no information. Are raisins okay to feed chickens. I have been given two big boxes of raisin bran cereal and would love to put it out for them. Any harm or good? Thanks you all rock. I always tell new chicken people look at Back Yard Chicken first then decide everything else. hahaha but true.

mskluck likes this.
  2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Mine like 'em. They're only dried grapes anyways, which are just fine. I always make sure to run water over the surgar covered raisins though.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I soak my raisins for several hours in water, then give them the water to drink too. They love it. It is one of their favorite treats. You can make a mash for them with the cereal.

Gibbie and mskluck like this.
  4. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Raisins are a big hit with my flock! Even the ones that aren't super friendly will eat raisins from my hand.

Gibbie likes this.
  5. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    They are my girls' most beloved of treats. I buy the boxes of Sunmaid Organic Raisins at Costco. Two bags per box. The girls know the rustle of the plastic bag. It starts a stampede every time. [​IMG]

6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I walk outside with a handful of raisins (if I carry the container, they'll mob me at the door) and say " RASINS!!...IV'E GOT RASINS!!!!" and they run to me. It is the only thing I feed from my hands and they are gone in a heart beat. You wouldn't think a chicken could eat that fast! Without a doubt is is their favorite treat...

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Raisins, grapes and currants...some of my chickies faves next to mealworms!

1 person likes this.
  8. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    "love" is not the right word when it comes to my chickens and grapes. They recognize the box and purr for it. I won't give them whole ones since they just gobble them up as fast as they can, so I pinch one between my fingers and let them tear into the soft center.

With plenty of beak-wiping to follow each raisin, of course.

1 person likes this.
  9. earthfriendlyfarm

earthfriendlyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Ellijay
    Hahaha. That is wonderful. I cannot wait to give the chickens the raisin bran. Ours love bananas it sounds like as much as all of your babies love raisins. Thank you. Again. I cannot say enough wonderfulness about how much everyone on this website has helped me. You Rock!!!!!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine love raisins too, but their favorite of all treats has to be meal worms.

mskluck likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by