rake out old fruit?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Prisserbabe, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    I was wondering if I need to rake out the fruit I put in there, which is now eaten and old? or is it okay to just rot in the soil?

2. abercrombie575

abercrombie575 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2010
    Georgia
    Is it something that is going to attract ants? Somethings I leave in there but if it is large enough to be an eyesore or if it will attract ants I get it out. It is not going to hurt either way.

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    I take the extra fruit and veggies out every night. That's just me. Neurotic... perhaps.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    How do you feel about them eating maggots? Act accordingly.

5. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

I would build a compost and toss any uneaten foodstuffs into it. We bought one similiar to this http://stores.microbialearthfarms.com/-strse-43/Flexible-&-Easy-Compost/Detail.bok at our local plant nursery. It came apart real easy, then we shoveled all the compost into our garden boxes last night.

Any rotting foodstuffs you leave will attract insects and other unwanteds into your coop--you don't want that. [​IMG]

6. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    I clean everything up each night. I don't want to attract any mice, rats, raccoons, etc to the coop at night. Plus I don't want my girls to eat any old, rotting food.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I clean it up and toss it in the lazy compost(pile I never turn).

8. fmizula

fmizula Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    i clean myn out about once a week unless it is quite hot out i would do it daily as it attracts all sorts of bugs

9. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Depends if they're done with it our not, cabbage can take a few days so I let it stay same with sunflowers. Watermelon is done for in a few hours and only the rhine is left, which they are not going to eat. I just toss it in the compost pile.

10. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Quote:x2 LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by