Raleigh, NC - May 17 - Urban Chicken Coop Tour

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by Wolfpacker, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
  2. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey wolfpacker, I think I'm gonna check you out. I live near Wendell, out Rolesville Rd of of 64E.

I put a post about this a week or so ago, but there were only six replies. Not sure if there are many members near Raleigh.

3. Wolfpacker

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    There used to be quite a few. In fact, a few months ago a big crowd met at the Ryan's steakhouse on 64.

I haven't checked in for a while, so I'm not sure where every one went.

Be sure to introduce yourself if you come to my house.

4. yonder

yonder Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Hello. I just signed up on this forum to figure out what the legality is of keeping chickens in city limits in Raleigh. I live within city limits up in north Raleigh but in an older neighborhood that has no pesky HOA.

I've heard that you can have hens but no roosters but nothing authoritative. I once spent some time on the city web cite browsing through ordinances but could find nothing on chickens.

5. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    I just learned about the Coop DeTour a week ago and am planning to go.

I got my new goslings from an outfit that is on the tour and can't wait to see the other set ups in the area! [​IMG]

6. Carolina Chicken Man

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:I read an article in the NandO last year that said it was legal. I think it must be if the paper is sponsoring a tour of henhouses.

7. Carolina Chicken Man

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote:I thought about this some more. There would not be an ordinance saying you can have chickens. You did not find an ordinance saying you can't, so by default........

8. Wolfpacker

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    There's no problem with chickens in Raleigh. Even one of our city councilmen, Roger Koopman (and I'm not making up his last name) is going to be on the tour.

If they are noisy (roosters crowing at 5 and waking your neighbors) or you allow their run to become dirty or smelly, they can be declared "public nuisances," but otherwise, chickens are fine.

9. yonder

yonder Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Years later, after many distractions, I have my chickens.

We picked up four red pullets at Tractor Supply in Knightdale yesterday and coop construction will begin shortly. I would have gotten more than four, but that's all they had left. Once the coop is up, I'll likely be looking for more.

10. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I'm going this year! I'm in Hillsborough, and I wanted to go last year but we were busy. Can't wait! I'm sure I'll leave with serious coop envy.... See you there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by