Rambling About My First Few Days of Chicken Keeping

Disintegration

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
I woke up earlier than normal today to check on my chicks because of the amount of noise they were making. They're in my room, and I heard tons of scratching and pecking at the walls of their brooder. When I finally pulled myself out of bed, I looked into the brooder to see a HUGE hole they had dug. All 5 of my baby chicks were scratching inside this hole. I would say upwards of 10 chicks could probably sit and scratch around in it with extra space.

I kept watching them through the day, just to see them fill in the hole they had made, and start digging new ones. The funniest part of it all was that I could tell that 2 of my chicks were instigating the entire thing! Nala, my Bantam Red Old English Game Hen, and my Speckled Sussex (She doesn't have a name yet, but I have some ideas.) were the ones to start digging and encourage all the others to start digging. It's really funny to see how they all have unique personalities so far. My rooster would strut and walk around the hole and occasionally dig a little, almost like he was supervising, lol.

Speaking of names, I'm stuck on names! The only chick that has a name so far is Nala (We aren't 100% sure that she's a hen, so if she turns out to be a rooster it'll be "Simba" instead.) I think I want to name my splash Maran "Athena" but I'm not 100% sure. It's so difficult to name my rooster! I think I've narrowed it down so far to either "Gerard", "Bowie", or "Atticus". I've also got a list of hen names too. Artemis, Jinx, Siouxie, Buffy, Etc. I've got a list in the notes in my phone that I've been working on for months.

Today is day 5. So far everything has been going pretty well, except for losing my silver penciled rock. I know how rare they can be, so it really breaks my heart that I would never get to see her all grown up to see the penciling in her feathers. The main reason I fell in love with chicken keeping is because of the variation in feather patterns and colors. If I had my way, I would have one of every breed availible to buy! I'm still very grateful that I have 5 other healthy and happy chicks though. They're all very active and curious. Hoping that I'll be able to get another penciled rock someday in the future, maybe from a poultry show.

Back
Top Bottom