1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ramp pitch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by derby, May 25, 2008.

1. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    Can a heavy chicken walk up and down a 45 degree ramp? Do they need a flat landing area at the bottom, or do they just hop off when they want?

Thanks,
    Derby

1 person likes this.
  2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Heck yeah!! They might need those little strips tacked on to help. (They look like little steps) Check out my homepage -The Corolla. I got a great pic of the ramp and it's 45 degrees. It's for bantys but I've seen the heavier breeds use them as well.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    A good rule of thumb in a perfect world:
    Make your ramp twice as long as the drop which would give you a 6/12 pitch and an angle of 22.5ยบ.
    "A 4x4 block attached to the end of your ramp to make a step up will do a lot to reduce the slope also."

4. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    A good source for the strips on the ramp is wooden yard sticks. The big blue and orange home improvement stores sell them for less than a buck. Cut them to length and nail them on. I wonder if carpet tack strips would work? They are very cheap too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by