ramp to chicken door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bruins, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Bruins

Bruins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    Frederick Co, MD
    I plan to build my coop with space under the coop so the chickens can go under it if they want . My question is how high of a ramp to the chicken door can they manage .

Can I build the coop with 2 or 3 ft under it and they walk up a long ramp to get in ? Or do they need a shorter ramp and height ?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Silkies can’t fly so they will need a ramp. Even chicks two weeks old of breeds that can fly shouldn’t have any real problems flying up a couple of feet if they really want to. Most full sized grown chickens I’ve had would prefer to jump/fly down from two or three feet instead of use a ramp but some will. You can make it easier on them if you wish though. They might or might not use it.

I’d suggest a 30 degree angle on a ramp. For every one foot oh height go out horizontal about 1.7 feet. That will be close enough. Just put a few strips across to help them get their footing and they can easily use that. I know some people use steeper ones and they work but you wanted a suggestion. No matter what number anyone gives, someone will come up with a different one. A lot of different things work.

You could also build a series of steps out of wood or stack cinder blocks, something like that. Some will use it and some will ignore it.

For a two foot or a three foot height, you probably do want to do something.

3. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    My coop is about 30 inches off the ground and I have a 5 foot ramp. Make sure they have small boards running across the long board, (mine are about every 8 inches) so they can use for traction to come down and climb. A long ramp is easier for the young chickens, older chicken will flap their wings to climb up shorter ramps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by