1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    We are finishing up our coop in the next few weeks in hopes of getting some chickens in before winter sets in.

For the ramp, what material do you use for the cross-bars up the ramp? We are using regular plywood for the ramp, but dont know what to use for the grip bars?

Thanks

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] I wish you great success with your coop & your chickens.

You could just use some strips of lathe or 1X2 fastened across, or even tree branches for a funky natural look. If the pitch isn't too steep and the plywood not too slick they may not even need cross bars. But they can be handy on rainy days to encourage them to go in & out.

I have a section of wood fencing set at an angle against my tallest coop, there are no cross bars & the birds can use it easily. Except on rainy days, sometimes they slide down as they come out of the coop. It's funny to watch, but for their sake I should add some cross grips.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Another material for the cross or grip bars can be "quarter round" - that stuff used at the bottom or tops of walls at the floor or ceiling, or wherever you have wall end and projection comes out, to finish the 90% angle. My coffee hasn't kicked in yet, or I'd remember what that stuff is called....

4. crazeetxn

crazeetxn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    West Texas
    Quote:Makes it simple...just cut them to the width of the board and you're ready to go. No rounding edges or anything. It's already done [​IMG]

5. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    I used asphalt shingles for the ramp.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, and for one of my short ramps, I just wrapped it with hardware cloth and stapled it on the back side.

7. woodenart

woodenart Out Of The Brooder

We make ladders for our coops, except for ex-battery hens, the ladders we make from 1 1/2 " square timber with the corners rounded. See the pics on our website for the sort of thing I mean.

Mark.

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I also use hardware cloth on all of my ramps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by