ramps

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hfchristy, Sep 18, 2012.

1. hfchristy

hfchristy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    We just finished building a new duck house, and can't figure how to get the ducks to go in the darned thing.
    Part of it is that they think they should be going the opposite direction to the garage, but even when we convinced them they ought to be going in the house, they couldn't figure out how to get up the ramp.

We're trying the deep litter method, and we have the whole thing elevated so that it's not sitting in melting snow and mud, so the doorway is pretty high - probably 15-18 inches off the ground - and we have a 6 ft ramp to it. That's apparently way too far to expect them to walk single file and they end up pushing each other off half-way up it.
    We eventually gave up on the ramp and put an upside down nest box outside the door for them to stand on. The still needed help getting on that, but they weren't freaked out when we lifted them onto it the way they were when we tried to put them all the way inside.

So, question - will they get the hang of the ramp eventually? Or should we be thinking stairs instead? Or do we need to make a wider, more textured ramp? It's one foot wide now, but the doorway is two feet, so there's room.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We have 2 houses, one has a ramp going into it the other has like a very small deck,. the ramp is about 2" wide and about a foot up from the ground at the opening to the house. the other with a step up into the house they do fine with both, why not try treats, ducks have trouble with new things but once they get the hang of it they do it without problems. maybe try dried meal worms to coax or thawed peas. Time and patience is what it takes with ducks.

3. hfchristy

hfchristy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    They don't have any water in their house. Is it safe to give them treats to lure them there?

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My understanding is that ducks need water when they eat. Can you put a bucket of water in their coop? Then use treats to lure them in?

i've noticed my ducks are creatures of habit. They like things to be the same way all the time. When i have moved their sleeping quarters, it takes a while for them to adjust.

My ducks seem able to go up steps, as long as they aren't too tall. i would think a ramp would work if it's wide enough. And your idea of having it textured is good. Maybe some of that rubbery sticky shelf paper would work?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you don't want to put water in their house since they are so messy, use peas. or just toss a few meal worms along the ramp going into the house not inside. With peas they wouldn't need water or you could put peas in a little water right inside.

6. a206h

a206h New Egg

Dec 4, 2012
    Duckville
    Same problem here. Does one use frozen peas or thawed?

7. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    We thaw our peas first.

8. gysygirl

gysygirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    Cornwall
    If it helps we have a ramp to our duck house we coated it with shed felt so it's non slip and as it's over a drop we have stapled the green plastic coated mesh (I think it's 1'' squared stuff) over the top to form a roof/sides (think of a letter D on it's back) all you need to do is staple both ends to the sides of the ramp and the ducks cannot fall off, Our's have a 4ft drop underneath and they do not mind it at all but it stops any accidents and ensures all proceed into the house [​IMG] (I have even left a flap at the end I can close so they cannot change their minds and make a run for it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by