1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ran out of food

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    ok so basically i ran out of food and can't get any gbs for 2-3 days....i have pet stores, they don't carry that ttype of bird seed tho, is there ANYTHING i can give my poor birds to carry them over, i have plenty of fresh cucumbers, zuc's, apples oranges and other veggies(all from my garden)

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Hard boiled egg mashed up will suffice [​IMG] you can give them veggies and see what they will munch on.

3. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    how much should they eat a day tho, i have 5, i would imagine, an egg a day and w/e veggies chopped down. what about plain puffed rice cereal?

4. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    alls well in quailville feed came in the mail eariler then i expected. they are chomping away

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Mine love birdseed, fresh greens, and bread (yes, I know bread is junk food, I only give them a few slices maybe once every 6-8 weeks).

6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Glad they got their food. Sometimes food changes can stop laying for a few days but maybe this was a short enough time frame you wont see that.

7. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    after i gave them more food, checked the coop about 2 hours later....someone laid me a present for the food i gave them i gues lol

8. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Wonderful! didn't stress them it sounds like [​IMG]

9. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    my buddy watched the flock while we were away this weekend. looking for food, he failed to notice the 3- 50# bags of various feeds and instead opened a 25# bag of wheat germ.

when I got back, the birds had been on wheat germ for 2-3 days and boy, were they happy to see me. I dosed em up with GBS and they are right back on track...

10. TheNeonPanther

TheNeonPanther Chillin' With My Peeps

Recently seaching for help..mine ran out of food too! Thank you so much! (Yeah I'm super late to this thread. xD)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by