ran out of foood! uhhh...help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by silkielover92, Oct 20, 2011.

1. silkielover92

silkielover92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    Well we ran out of food! We are normally feeding layer pellets... but we live about 3 hours from any feed store... we have about three tons of all breed feed.. could they have this till we ship our big order in next month?

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Yes you can use an all breed feed...you're meaning something like Flock Raiser, right?
    Just make sure to have oyster shell available 24/7 for the calcium and you'll be fine! [​IMG]

3. silkielover92

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    To tell u the truth it just says all breed.. it has horses, cows, and hogs on the front. It says all breeds so I figured it should work... if not tomorrow I will make the horrible trip across state to the feed store and get layer pellets.

4. clucksbc

clucksbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    I am sure they will be temporarily fine...
    probably has a different nutrient base..
    but can't see that if would do any harm..

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Check all the ingredience against the bags your pellets come in and suppliment accordingly.

6. silkielover92

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    Thank you!

7. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    I'm sure there's nothing harmful in the all breed. If I remember, with my horses, the all stock does not add vitamins and minerals, so there should be nothing harmful in it. Just not alot of protein. Most all stock is like 10% to 12% protein, where as your layer is 16%. And the flockraiser i believe is 20%? So maybe supplement with some scrambled eggs, veggies, etc.?

8. binders

binders Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Chicken use to survive just fine without store bought food. They may not lay as heavy but will be fine, especially for a short time. In the third world they mostly have to fend for themselves. Yours should be fine. Give them any scraps from your kitchen also, especially any forms of protein that you have. (Milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, eggs, pork chops).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  9. Emily's Eggery

Emily's Eggery New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    if its for a short time, you can just feed them scraps (corn, hard boiled egg, bread, veggies, greens, fruit....etc.) and they will do just fine. [​IMG] just make sure you keep up on the protien!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by