Ran Out Of Money!

Oddyse

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Bristol
So Im working on my new duck house, new massive pond and run, dug the pond out, sorted out and levelled all the ground, started building the mesh, AND RAN OUT OF MONEY! So now im left with a huge hole in my garden and no money to finish it! Gutted, I did all the price planning wrong! Anyone else done this or is it just me?

Not just you
sad.png

I have learned to plan 2x what my figure is...

Sorry to hear you have a mess on your hands.... I haven't started my duck hut... they sleep in the chicken coop, have the yard with a covered area during the day and a large kiddie pool to swim in for right now.

Planning to dig my "garden" pond this summer, but can't find what I want.

I figure my duck hut is going to run me $200, so I am planning on 400.

Edited: Idea.... see if there is a freecycle in your area and ask for what you need.... it is all free and a great way to repurpose things.

Last edited:
It seems like all of my projects run over on money. I think it is because I reinvent myself while doing it. I started a new chicken coop this year 8'x8' and went over budget by a good 30% because of changes that I made while building. In the end, I am happy with the changes that I made and very happy with the coop.

There are a lot of places that you can get supplies cheaper. Freecycle was a great suggestion, also there is Craigslist. Keep your eyes open when you are driving around, sometimes someone elses garbage can be a godsend.

I never buy new unless I have.
Freecycle,craisglist,side of the road and trash day people throw away good stuff like windows and tons of empty big plastic buckets ect ect.
Plus im helping recycle and keeping it from the landfill.
Your ducks don't care if its made from new or recycled....
Might be someone has and old pool liner you could use that for the bottom of your pond.

My husband is a carpenter/contactor and building manager so he usually handles the building aspect of things. He can find extras here and there or deals at the lumber yard. When it comes to actually SAVING money he relies on me to scour the ads or search craigslist. I'm usually the one telling him to pull things out of the garbage to save for a rainy day.

Im in England and we dont have most of the things you suggested for getting stuff cheaper! I have them in a pretty decent run at the moment with a nice over ground pool, realistically they could live in there forever, but I love them soooo much I want to build them something nicer! I guess I just have to treat it as a project and build as I can afford it. Eventually I will get there and will definitely post you guys some pictures! For now though, digging a hole is free, so il just be doing that!
lau.gif

Quote:
I know what you mean .... are you sure there isn't a freecycle in England? Maybe it is just the US, but England needs one... it is an awesome thing.

Quote:
Don't feel bad about the hole in your yard, as you said digging a hole is free. Not only that, but what is a pond or lake anyway???? It is a HOLE in the ground!!! Just bigger.
gig.gif

There is a free cycle in a lot of towns in England. We have one in Louth, Lincolnshire, which is a very small place. Here are my suggestions for cheap materials, and I have used them all. Local paper classified columns. A few weeks ago a lady was selling a chicken house and five hens for £50! Postcard adverts in shop windows, got 14 wooden tea chests for £15, ideal for turning into small animal houses etc. Skips outside buildings being renovated. Often builders are pleased to offload items from the skips, a very good source of wood! Car boot and garage sales, once again a good source of useful wood, and some great bargains in garden and DIY tools. My daughter got a great ladies bike for £30. Scrap yards will often sell small items very cheap as they really exist to deal in metals and renovation salvage. Hope these suggestions help you.

Back
Top Bottom