Ran out of water at start of day 7!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Laura78, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Laura78

Laura78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    My pan of water ran out in my homemade still air bator durning the night. I put some hot water in there and misted the bator. Hope I caught it when it first happened, but don't think I did. I'll try candling them later to see what I can see. Any advice? should I now keep the humidity over 60% for the rest of the hatch?

2. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    No, I wouldn't up the humidity! Apparently in the first 18 days too little humidity is better than too much. you're probably OK.
    Best of luck.

3. Laura78

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Ok good. Just as long as I didn't kill them. The humidity is back up to where it should be.

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Yes don't raise the humitity. They should be O.K. I have ran out of water before early on and had a successful hatch. Good luck!

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    they should be fine.. do not candle immediately after something like this.. they already went through a slight shock period.. let them recover first.. wait until day 10 or after... you will not be able to tell anything at day 7 anyhow..

you already candled, didn't you??

6. Laura78

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:I candled last night. I have no dark room until night fall.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    They will be ok, no worries! I usually add half cup of water every seven days and let it run dry. Then half cup of water for the last three days so they can have the humidity to hatch. I had good hatches so far! What you dont want to do is to add too much water before it is dry before seven days otherwise you will have icky chicks or drowned chicks. If you get mist on the windows, just unplug the vent holes to let it evaporate. I never close up my vent holes anyway.

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I candled last night. I have no dark room until night fall.

I knew it..[​IMG]

no harm done.. what did you learn from it??

to add extra hum% hang a paper towel through one of the vent holes in the top of the bator.. keep it high enough so that it does not touch the eggs. now soak the towel .

it will not take much water to do so, but it will have to be repeated as the towel dries out in a short time..

If you do not want to use a vent hole, make a new hole
    in a spot away from the wires etc..

9. Laura78

Feb 24, 2009
    Snohomish County, WA
    Yeah I candled before I ran out of water. Of my 13, 3 had veins, 4 nothing, 2 were too dark to see, and 4 had something but I couldn't see the veins. All are staying in until they either hatch or start to smell.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    what day are you on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by