Rancho Cucamonga, CA How to fight City Hall?

Rancho Pollo

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 12, 2013
I am looking for advise and guidance on how to begin the process to approach the city of Rancho Cucamonga, CA to request they allow backyard chickens in "low density" areas where I live. How best to get the ball rolling?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

"Move".

With respect, CA has made it virtually impossible to alter zoning - even if you could get the local municipal body to change the zoning regulations, any opposed neighbor could hold it up indefinitely by insisting on an EIR, then asserting its inadequate. Such efforts have already been successful in getting CA cities to reverse re-zoning decisions, and to prevent the actual change of use in numerous properties where the zoning change did go thru.

So I decided to search Rancho today and found this. I suppose I’m a bit late to your post. I’m another fellow citizen of Rancho Cucamonga. I’d like to have a rooster to sustain my flock, but that’ll never legally happen. I would recommend one of two things:

1. Contact your city council rep, and find out if they’re willing to pick up your cause. You’ll need to have a few of you, not just one, in your council reps district. They’re worried about electability, so it’s best that you get a lot of neighbors involved. Timing might be good now as well since the cost of eggs and such is high. Then, they will help you navigate the process. Council meetings, vote, etc. you might need to do an EIR. They’ll know.

2. Get some feedback from your neighbors. Pick their brains. The city won’t come out unless someone tattles on you. Usually a neighbor. You need three good, quiet hens. Buff Orps are default go to. RIRs are good. Three is the minimum, x 8 = 24 sq ft of run space which is basically a 5’x5’ space; coop on top and run on bottom. Lots of ventilation and regular maintenance on your part will keep the smell controlled. It’s not that bad, and then share some eggs with a neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom