Ranco thermostat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeardedChick, Nov 22, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Just thought I'd post an update on my 'bator build. I got tired of fussing with a water heater thermostat and decided to put on a Ranco. The thermostat was always off just a little too high or a little too low (the one in my cooler 'bator is working fine, however). So I bought a Ranco, which is widely used in reptile setups.

Pros:
    - You can set the temperature you want - I set mine to click off at 100F
    - You can set the differential you want - mine is set for 2 degrees. So when the temperature drops two degrees, it clicks on (seems to come on when it hits 98.9)
    - It has a built in probe that you can put directly in your water wiggler
    - You can wire the thermostat to control a power strip and just plug your light into the strip
    - You can later move the thermostat to your brooder if you want and let it keep your brooder the correct temperature
    - Shouldn't have any temperature spikes (this was a big deal for me)

Cons:
    - They are expensive (~$55 w/ shipping)
    - You have to wire them yourself
    - The are big

I bought a second one that will be for my brooder setup, that will keep the light from getting the brooder too hot or too cold. And because I wire mine to a power strip, I can run it using two lights, in case one burns out.

Here's a pic of the thermostat. That black powerstrip is wired into it. There are good instructions on the net for wiring these things up.
    [​IMG]

The probe is set in my home-made wiggler - I put a green circle around it in this picture.
    [​IMG]

The wiggler temperature is holding extremely well, as measured by the second wiggler with the Thermoworks thermometer.

2. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Oh how cool!!! Where did you get one at? My water heater Thermostat went out (after only 2 hatches) I got a new one and it's fluctuating like crazy!!! (driving me crazy while it's at it) [​IMG]

3. BeardedChick

I bought two of them off of ebay, seller was ThermalResources. You CAN buy them pre-wired to a power strip, but they are about $75.

The model is ETC-111000. You have to be careful, because the model for 240 V is a 111100

4. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks so much for the info... I'm still up in the air about putting more money into my homemade bator or just saving the money and buying a really nice one... [​IMG]

5. BeardedChick

I understand that. I built a really nice one and just want trouble-free components before I buy some expensive (Marans) eggs to hatch. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by