1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Randall burkey sig. cost increases and others?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by horsechick, Jan 18, 2009.

1. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    We were looking at getting chicks for spring. Got our new catalog from Randall Burkey and noticed the chicks have went up $1 a piece!
    And most of their other items have significantly increased as well, anywhere between $10 an item up to and increase of $350 an item!!
    Has anyone else noticed if any of the other hatcheries have increased their costs this much?
    In this economy I would think it might do more good to lower prices or lose business.
    Anyone notice other hatcheries raising prices?
    I saw theirs and thought we just might have to look elsewhere.
    Thank you,
    Angela

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Yeah, sadly the price of everything is rising. Horsechick if you are looking for chicks, check out www.eaglenestpoultry.com you are close to them, their birds are awesome quality. You are probably in driving distance, and the birds are cheap, like $1-$2 Last year their birds swept our county fair. Grand champion turkey, laying hen, exibition fowl, and reserve champion meat chicken. Most of the bantams are show quality, the owner of the hatchery is an APA Judge, so you know he has good birds.

3. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Ideal's chicks have gone up 10 cents each. All vaccinations, dubbing, etc. prices were the same.

4. krazy4cowboys

krazy4cowboys New Egg

Jan 8, 2009
    Davisburg, MI
    I did notice that randall burkey raised their prices, however I wouldnt order from them again. they messed up my order so bad last year and gave me a hard time about fixing it. I ordered 10 burbon red turkeys, 10 cochins and 10 japanese. I got the turkeys, 5 cochins, 2 of which are frizzles and 15 dutch. I called them as soon as I picked up my chicks and they gave me such a hard time. their answer was to give them away and order new ones. so does anyone know of another hatchery that they have good luck with?

5. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Your in MI, try www.eaglenestpoultry.com call them tomorrow they will send you an order blank and breed list. They have the best quality birds. Owned and operated by An APA judge. Very nice

6. dave27889

dave27889 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    Quote:I have seen this type posting in several places the last couple of days. Does anyone know who the poster is and has anybody else ordered from the eaglenest poultry site. I have noticed the increase in prices at several of the Big hatcheries. They are places people know and I know nothing about this smaller site.
    I am only courious because it seems like advertising kinda to me. I know we all waqnt to help each other so I am only asking. Thanks, Dave

7. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
  8. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    dave27889 :

I have seen this type posting in several places the last couple of days. Does anyone know who the poster is and has anybody else ordered from the eaglenest poultry site. I have noticed the increase in prices at several of the Big hatcheries. They are places people know and I know nothing about this smaller site.
    I am only courious because it seems like advertising kinda to me. I know we all waqnt to help each other so I am only asking. Thanks, Dave

You are looking for a cheaper hatchery, this hatchery breeds very good quality birds, they dont have the huge selection like the other big hatcheries, but the birds are about $1. They breed exibiyion quality birds, and thats not just from what they say, i have seen thier birds. I believe you are getting much better birds for your money. I just want to spread the word since they are a small operation. Im not so much advertising, i am more so helping you find a good hatchery. just giving them the good word.​

9. dave27889

dave27889 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Washington, NC
    That's great. It's nice to help others that is what this site is for. I wish more people were like that. You know how it is when all of a sudden something pops up out of the blue. I went to your site and liked it very much. I hope to have something like it someday.
    Thanks for the advice and I will certianly look into this new hatchery option. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking question so nicely. Dave in NC

10. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi Brooster,
    Thanks for the link. I for one, think its great to mention all the alternatives we can a group of customers and consumers.
    People advertise their poultry for sale here everyday, no reason you can't mention a good hatchery that might help folks.
    Otherwise these corporate giant hatcheries will just take advantage of us like everything else in the economy today. Exactly why it is in such bad shape.
    I am also VERY glad the other poster mentioned their bad experience with Randall Burkey, kind of takes them off my list.
    Maybe if enough customers have that attitude and stick together they (hatcheries) will remember who really butters their bread. Customer service can sometimes mean ALL the difference in the world! And the difference between repeat customers and no customers.
    One item went up $350! since last year, at Randall Burkey, that's just ridiculous.
    Wonder if grandpa would be proud? LOL!

Thanks again for mentioning the site, I will check it out.
    Appreciate it and anyone else's suggestions for sites.

Angela

Edited for content.
    3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by