1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Random cackling

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by okiegirl47, Nov 25, 2013.

1. okiegirl47

okiegirl47 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I have a young hen about 6 months old that hasn't started laying yet. The thing is that she will just start cackling like she's just laid an egg but when I check for that much anticipated first egg, it's not there. Does anyone know why she does this?

2. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a flock of 10 layers (12 chickens total, one's too young to lay and one's a roo).

I have never once heard the 'egg song' when it was actually accompanied by an egg. My chickens seem to make all sorts of noise whenever they darn well please :)

I think it goes back to Chicken Logic 101: there is no chicken logic! :)

Chickens also make a slightly different cackle when they think they spy a predator, so she might be getting spooked by something.

3. okiegirl47

Jul 16, 2013
    Thanks Fosterson,

I have heard the " egg song" many times but I have to say that this girl's cackling does sound slightly different. So maybe she is reacting to something around her. While I have your ear, do you know if DE alone will get rid of lice or mites?

4. fosterson

Not if they already have mites. But it's a great preventative. Make sure you get the stuff meant for livestock and not the stuff meant for gardening. The gardening stuff isn't technically edible, though I don't know why. Also, you'll pay like $25 for a 5 pound bag of the stuff at the feed store. So ask if they have any of the 50lb bags...they're closer to $40 and last a LOT longer.

5. okiegirl47

Jul 16, 2013
    Well she's already hot them. How do youget rid of them?

6. fosterson

There's as many ways as there are flock keepers. You might start out searching the site for advice. I myself got some birds I suspected had mites (couldn't tell for sure, but didn't want to risk it) so I switched them to Nutrena's Feather Fixer feed for a bag. Gave them a bit more protein to rebuild their feathers (they were molting BAD) and it's got an anti-mite ingredient (pyrethrin (sp?)) to help their bodies fight off the mites.

If the infestation is bad, you may need to resort to a topical insecticide but I have never personally used one.

If they have scale mites on their legs you can rub them down with olive oil for a few days to help smother the dang things out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by