1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Random chicken death

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jaidenrbarrett, Jan 27, 2016.

1. jaidenrbarrett

jaidenrbarrett New Egg

Jun 12, 2015
    So one of our chickens, Tilly, was asleep as normal, but in the morning when we let the chickens out one of them was missing. We walked inside to find poor little Tilly dead, it was very sad. We have only had them for about 8 months, and got them when they were 2 months old. So it's not age, any ideas?? Thanks

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi, welcome and sorry that your first post here on BYC relates to a loss. There is something known as sudden death syndrome - bit of an enigma (could have been the cause), but one of my flock died the same way some months ago. Maybe try searching threads on the topic.

The learning centre is a good place also.

Keep your chin up - as people say here in Kenya "where there's livestock, there's deadstock".

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Oh, so tragic. I'm sorry for your loss. :hugs Did she have any signs of struggle? More details would help us narrow it down a bit.

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry your lost Tilly, that's always difficult, especially maybe when you aren't sure why. I take it she was eating, drinking and pooping ok? Does everyone else in your flock appear healthy?

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome,

So sorry about your loss, hope the others are healthy and you have no more problems.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens - sorry for your loss.

8. jaidenrbarrett

jaidenrbarrett New Egg

Jun 12, 2015
    Everyone else seems fine, she was eating, drinking and most likely pooping. It's kinda hard to tell when they all poop so much.

9. jaidenrbarrett

jaidenrbarrett New Egg

Jun 12, 2015

Everyone else seems fine, she was eating, drinking and most likely pooping. It's kinda hard to tell when they all poop so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by