Random dead silkie....????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Paws4fun, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Paws4fun

Paws4fun Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2015
    Super new to the world of chickens - small mixed flock - everything seemed fine in the coop.....they were settling into their new home. Only had them for two weeks....I noticed my white silkie was lethargic so I brought her into the house yesterday and within hours she was dead....?????

What the heck happened???

I have no clue what I've done wrong. The rest of the girls seem fine! I cleaned out their coop as best I could - added fresh straw - cleaned their food and water containers - just want to keep the rest of them healthy - any suggestions on what else I should be doing??

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    From my experience, Silkies aren't terribly hardy. Could have been just something stress related. Where did you get them? Keep an eye on the rest of your birds (as they're good at hiding symptoms) and contact the place that you got them from, if you can, to see if they have any information to give you. Sometimes that just happens.

3. Paws4fun

Mar 6, 2015
    Thank you! I will call the breeder and let him know what's going on!!!

4. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    yes, please let us know what you find out, it's how we all learn. And he might give you a replacement. Good luck with your chickies, and have fun. [​IMG]

5. Paws4fun

Mar 6, 2015
    I contacted the breeder - he is 95% sure it was a stuck egg. All my other girls are doing well - so fingers crossed that's all it was!! I am not going to 'replace' her at the moment - I have a Polish hen that I am nursing back to health after she had all her crest feathers picked off her....I have enough on my plate at the moment without adding more!!!

6. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Know the feeling there. [​IMG] Glad you got an idea, at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by