Random death barnvelder

Lawgirlyjo

Chirping
May 28, 2021
I checked on the chickens recently and noticed my barnevelder shy a week of being 3 months old raised as day old. No signs of illness prior. Gave 4 cloves garlic, 1 T ACV and 1 T molasses to gallon water drink yesterday. A Welsummer litter mate since birth seemed off sticking head out so started Amprolium last night. Surprised to see blood on chest of barnevelder late morning not sure where came from. Was fine first thing in morning.

Attachments

• 758943C0-503A-4FCF-A6D0-CE2688407BA0.jpeg
    758943C0-503A-4FCF-A6D0-CE2688407BA0.jpeg
    753.4 KB · Views: 12
Is the blood from a wound on the chest or crop? Was the blood from droppings above it? I would be concerned that you had a predator or a bully pecking the pullet, but coccidiosis might be a possibility. Be careful feeding too much garlic.

No predator as are in dog cage as just got new coop and painting inside right now so staying in my garage. Other 3 birds welsummer, Orpington and black copper marans are super docile with this grouping. Concerned if mareks, acv and metal water as only day and garlic did smell strong.

But is the blood on the chest over a wound or is it blood from poop that fell on it? A necropsy can be done on the body if you keep it cold, not frozen, and take it in to your state vet today or ship it overnight. They can help determine a cause of death and test for Mareks if indicated. Here is how to contact them:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

But is the blood on the chest over a wound or is it blood from poop that fell on it? A necropsy can be done on the body if you keep it cold, not frozen, and take it in to your state vet today or ship it overnight. They can help determine a cause of death and test for Mareks if indicated. Here is how to contact them:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
I have paid $200 for necropsy before and not going to this time as had no place to store and given possibilities will keep watch on others but just curious what to keep watch for. It looks like maybe vomited blood clots is closest I can tell.

I checked on the chickens recently and noticed my barnevelder shy a week of being 3 months old raised as day old. No signs of illness prior. Gave 4 cloves garlic, 1 T ACV and 1 T molasses to gallon water drink yesterday. A Welsummer litter mate since birth seemed off sticking head out so started Amprolium last night. Surprised to see blood on chest of barnevelder late morning not sure where came from. Was fine first thing in morning.
Garlic is toxic to chickens, especially that much. I'm not sure about the blood clots, could have been heart failure, I'm sorry.

Looks like bloody droppings.
Screenshot_20210823-133040_Chrome.jpg

It might have died of coccidosis, or maybe an internal injury that led to pooping blood. You can perform a necropsy yourself but if it was a disaster you might not be able to tell.
I think it's bloody droppings from a flock mate. So a severe case of Coccidiosis maybe what did it.

Back
Top Bottom