Random Deaths--No Symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dowdlauren, Jun 22, 2016.

1. dowdlauren

dowdlauren Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    So in the last six months, three of my hens have died. No symptoms, not old or unhealthy. Literally up and running and happy one hour, dead the next. They were about 5 years old. Now, I've heard people say sometimes chickens up and die at random, but I don't buy it. I've had some hens (they're all bantams) who've been pushing 10-11 years and still healthy. BUT, the ones that have died, all died within a short amount of time, three of them. Not really a "just random death" thing. They were all sexed hens from My Pet Chicken too, so maybe there's a connection? Anyway, the environment is clear as hell. Coop cleaned regularly, no rats or birds, no illness, fed regularly and given wormer, etc.

What the--? [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get a necropsy if you lose another one. Your state vet or poultry college may be able to do one on a refrigerated body. Reproductive problems such as cancer, egg binding, internal laying, and egg yolk peritonits are all common in todays hatchery hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by