"random" deaths of 3 month old Americanas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Potato, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Potato

Potato Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2014
    I have a batch of Americana chicks that are about 3 months old. In less than a week, three have died. My first thought was overcrowding, or pecking because they have grown for about 3 months. I have separated many of them, and I still lost two. I don't know what is wrong or happening to these birds. I am beginning to wonder if the hatchery I got them from is just a terrible place to get chicks. I had posted about a RedSexLink chick, from the same hatchery, that was nearly bald, very greasy, no tail, and much smaller, it also randomly died before I could get pictures.

I have hundreds of chickens, from a couple different hatcheries, and this batch of RSL and Americanas has had more problems than anything else I have owned.

My birds have access to the outdoors, large spaces, dirt, plants, and all the good things in nature, we also close our birds in secure coops at night.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    Where they being picked on by the other chickens? Where they eating and drinking?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When putting chickens of different age groups together there can be a good chance of the younger ones getting coccidiosis from the older ones and from the soil. New birds should be quarantined for at least a month to make sure they are healthy, and to look for lice, mites, and treat for worms. Also, birds should be slowly put together between fencing so that the new ones aren't bullied or kept from food and water. You probably know all that, but I would give new birds a preventative dosage of Corid in their water when they first hit your ground or come in contact with your birds. A necropsy done by the state vet could tell you what you are dealing with as well. Sorry for your loss.

4. Potato

Potato Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2014
    They (this batch) are all the same age, eating the same food, and drinking the same clean water. They are in their own area and coop until laying age, then they get integrated into the flock. There appears to be no signs of parasites(internal or external), no obvious signs of sickness, no physical abuse, no missing feathers or damaged combs. It seems to me the few bird(s) will not eat, then they will slowly stop moving around, then dead within 6-12 hours.

thank you all for the suggestions, and if anything changes I will let you know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by