Random dog attack, please help....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hippiechickie33, Jul 25, 2014.

1. hippiechickie33

hippiechickie33 New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    My first time posting, long time lurker with no name....

We free range our 20 or so chickens and have never had a problem with this for over 2 years. We do have a roo, but he was locked in the coop tonight because he taunts my toddler when he is outside. We forgot to let him back out when we went in, and two neighborhood - don't know whose neighborhood because they aren't from my street - dogs stormed our yard and killed two of my marans. One of the dogs got a hold of an EEer, and my husband likely saved her life as he chased the dogs off with a broom as she was being bitten. We are missing our barred rock, but have found a small bunch of her feathers - not enough that I think she is dead, as there are feathers EVERYWHERE around the dead chickens. Actually, there are feathers everywhere period. We had to go in at dark, but does anyone have advice as to how we can find her? I am sure she is hiding somewhere and I just want to take care of her if we need to. We found the EEer hiding in the bushes. I don't have antibiotics on hand, but have given her fermented cod liver oil and minerals to up her immune system, as well as homeopathy and loads of probiotics on the wound (they are liquid probiotics). She does appear to be limping, but I can't see anything wrong with her legs. What do I need to look for? How would I know if her wings are hurt? She appears to be holding them low at moments, but am not sure if that is because she is in pain or because her wings are injured. She does lift them back.... sorry my thoughts are so disjointed, I'm super traumatized by tonights events. Thanks for any help anyone can offer in taking care of our Airie and Barbie. (additionally, does anyone know if anything can be done in regards to the owner of this dog? we saw him driving around looking for his dog, we told him his dog killed our chickens and he didn't even apologize. I am so sad)

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

You can demand payment from him, possibly file a police report.

If your missing chicken is alive, it will likely show up tomorrow. Your surviving chicken is likely suffering from stress. Check as best you can for wounds. If you don't have any antibiotics (Pen G injectable is good for wound bites) and she has some bite wounds, clean and flush them as best you can and if you have some raw honey, you can drizzle some of that on the wounds. Or neosporin. My favorite thing to use for ugly wounds is a product called WonderDust. I found it at my local Farmers Co-op. You can find it online also. It really heals up wounds fast. Puts a scab on it and drys them up quick. Once you have her wounds tended to, keep her in a quiet area and provide food and water. She will not likely eat right away. You may be able to tempt her in a day or two with some special treats. Right now, she is probably too stressed to feel like eating. Don't put her back with the flock (assuming you still have some) until she is back to normal, eating and drinking that is. Right now, she doesn't need any additional stress. Btw, if she isn't bleeding from a wound, you can give her some baby asprin for pain. I would give maybe a quarter to half of one for pain. If you can get it in the back of her beak, she will likely swallow it. As far as the leg goes, you may just have to monitor it. No telling what the dog did to it. Hopefully, nothing that some time won't heal.

3. misaya

misaya New Egg

Jul 26, 2014
    This creates a absolute absorbing FIFA 14 PS4 Coins appropriate addle because the a lot of accessible band-aid is to breach armament and try to accomplish both mission objectives at the aforementioned time.

4. hippiechickie33

hippiechickie33 New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    She does have quite a puncture wound, and it isn't actively bleeding but it has been difficult to clean the area well because she gets very distressed. She is standing so I feel like her legs are ok, it is just the wound I'm worried about. I will go to the farm supply store today and see what I can find to help heal her up. I actually have some manuka honey, maybe I will use that. I have raw honey too, but manuka is supposed to be the best and I forgot I had it! She did actually still eat last night, but was very difficult to give any thing to (I gave her homeopathy, flower essences (for shock), and fclo). She ate some raw egg my daughter gave her as well. I forgot to mention last night that I also put an australorp in the garage as well (in a separate bin) as she was so shocked she was shaking. She doesn't appear to have anything wrong with her, she did have some feathers falling out but I checked her skin out and it appears ok. Hope I'm not missing anything. She is my daughters (& mine!) favorite and when we found her my daughter sobbed and sobbed she was so happy she was ok. I'm so sad and angry, I had just gone outside 30 minutes prior and fed them all my leftover banana that had gone bad. I did call animal control, and she said if we could find the guy she'd definitely go talk to him about it. I think I'll file a police report on Monday. Of course the dogs killed my most expensive chickens too, I just feel so bad for those chickens that I wasn't there to protect them. Ugh.

5. hippiechickie33

hippiechickie33 New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Good news, we found our Barbie walking around this morning, almost like nothing had happened. I couldn't find where the feathers had been ripped out even, so she appears to have walked away unharmed. So all in all, the damage done was 2 dead chickens, one injured bitten pretty badly chicken (she could probably use stitches, is that something I could do? or should I just wait for it to heal?) and one shocked/scared uninjured chicken. everyone else appears to be ok, and they must not have been as scared because they were out eating scratch last night. I washed Airie's wound and put more probiotics and manuka honey on it. I think with as big as it is I should look for WonderDust. Wonder if they would have it at tractor supply. We are going to the farm supply store anyway this morning, just don't know if they will have it or not. Thanks for your assistance!

6. Hi,
    I, like you, have reviewed these forums for quite some time to look into chicken curiosities or dosing info, but have never posted. I came today to post myself and saw this. We experienced this same thing with our birds, and of 26 birds attacked, only 1 survived - an EEer. She had a puncture wound at the base of the neck down on the body just between the wings. She likely had a punctured lung, and showed the same symptoms as your bird. If your bird is still alive today at this point, I would drizzle (well, my method is "squirt", but not with force,as that would hurt) betadine into the wound, and dab it with a dry paper towel, then follow it up with triple antibiotic ointment as thick as you need it to cover the wound. I would do this daily or twice a day if you think she needs it. Put her into a hospital cage where she can be quiet. I try to make things as easy for my "hospitalized" birds by using the crumbled food (we use flock raiser, but any chick feed would work), I wet it slightly and stir it then add a vitamin/probiotic powder to the top. If your hospital cage is indoors where it's air conditioned, a heat lamp (probably pretty high - you don't want to overheat her) would help reduce her stress. If you think she is expending any energy trying to stay warm, then the heat lamp to remove that competition for energy would be helpful. Just look at the height of it and make sure it's not causing a problem vs. helping. As far as her wings go, the only way I know of checking for breaks is to gently spread the wing and feel with your fingers on opposing sides of the bones. If you see any flopping going on, there's a break. It should be pretty tight. If it were mine and I thought there was a wing issue, and it wasn't very obvious, I would leave that and concentrate on the wound. My guess is the drooping wings is caused by difficult breathing. Since the treatment for that would be to wrap it against her body, that would not be helpful to the more serious issue of her breathing.

Vetericyn is another product I have never used on my birds before, but I believe it can be helpful. We use it for wounds on our horses, and it works great to debride and keep clean some of the superficial wounds. I'm not sure I would use it on the deep puncture wound at first, but as she heals, it may be an alternative to the betadine/triple antibiotic combination, and easier. It will allow the wound to breathe more.

I do want to let you know that, once over the initial shock, I find chickens to be extremely resilient. I have had to "operate" on two hens that had some nasty wounds from spurs, which required digging deep and debriding with betadine, and they handled it very well. I wish you and your hen well, and hope you are able to find the other missing bird. Hospital cage, quiet, warmth, easy food and drink, vitamins/probiotics - help them fight the stress as much as you can after a check and quick treatment of wounds is the best advice I can share. Let us know how she fares.

7. lilfitz2006

lilfitz2006 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    Did she ever get better?

8. hippiechickie33

hippiechickie33 New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Yes, she did! I had the EEer, "Airy", and the Australorp, "Big Comb" (my kids named them!), each in separate bins in the garage, probably about 25 feet apart from each other. Airy was the injured bird, Big Comb was the bird that was just scared to death. For Airy, I did LOTS of homeopathy (aconite and ledum, but quite regularly), Rescue Remedy, colloidal silver, and heavy probiotics. I used the probiotics topically as well (to kill possible infection and help healing, they are liquid probiotics), calendula, and lots of manuka honey. The wound "scabbed over" pretty quickly, and once it was scabbed over the pain didn't seem to bother her as much. I also gave her some of the minerals we take (magnesium and a mix of other minerals) and fermented cod liver oil. She ate mostly eggs, as she wasn't interested in much else and I figured something with good calories would be best for her.

Big Comb was so terrified she didn't even leave her bin much. Normally, she'd be up walking around the garage looking for food (we keep scratch in the garage, and my kids spill it on their way outside) but she wasn't interested. It was hard to see her like that, as she was very much like a dog that comes up to me and begs. But they were showing signs of wanting to go outside, so we let them out together in the morning before we let the rest of the birds out. They did great, and we did this for 3 days or so. They'd come back in the garage and Big Comb would hop in Airy's bin and spend the day in there, and she would leave at night. Very cute, and I think the company they gave each other helped a lot. On the 4th day, they were impossible to catch, so we just let all the chickens out. Our rooster does a good job of keeping the peace between the ladies, so I knew if a fight broke out he'd be on it. everything went smoothly, and I had planned to put them back in the garage at night but they both got in the coop and freaked out when I tried to grab them. So, that was the end of my nursing care. We have been checking on Airy's wound fairly consistently, and it still has a hefty scab on it but doesn't look infected at all. We didn't give her any antibiotics other than the natural antibiotic in colloidal silver and manuka honey - it was nerve wracking because day 5 or so she wasn't eating much and she had been, so I worried a lot. But as soon as she got to go outside, she started eating again and perked back up. Big Comb has turned back into my beggar chicken - I toss scratch out to everyone, and she always comes up to me to get her special treat. I haven't noticed her getting new feathers, I will have to check as she had quite a few come loose after the attacks but I could never find an actual bite on her. The barred rock, whose bunch of feathers I found but could never find any missing on her is getting new feathers and they are on her NECK. So lucky she is still alive too. Airy is getting LOTS of new feathers. The kids have enjoyed watching them come back in. I feel very lucky that she swung back around, had we not found her in the bushes that night her chances probably wouldn't have been as good. I'm definitely sad that we lost two of our copper marans, one of them our blue who was an absolutely gorgeous hen.

I went to file a police report, but am waiting to hear back from the 4H guy because the police tried to tell me they didn't think I could have chickens in the city limits. I didn't want to chance losing all of the chickens, as we really do love them and they are our pets. So I ended up not filing the report just yet, but want to because I'm so upset with the way the guy handled the situation - or his lack of handling the situation. Anyway, thanks for asking. I guess it is good to update these things so future searchers can see that some chickens make it out of nasty dog attacks alive.

9. Sounds like you did a great job with your "hospital" treatment! Congratulations [​IMG]

10. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Sorry about the 2 marans. It sounds like you are very knowledgeable about medicines and treatments I didn't know what half of the treatments that you used even were lol. I'm glad big comb and airy have made a full recovery I am sure it was due to your aggressive and successful doctoring. You should be proud of yourself.

11. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    That's great news! Glad to hear they recovered!

You know, around here when someone's dog kills someones chickens you sometimes get an angry lady beating on your front door while holding her dead chickens and demandig payment for them. They usually do get paid too. If the owner is still too dense to keep his dogs under control, then they might get a phone call informing them that their dogs are still causing problems and you sure would hate to have to shoot it. That usually does the trick. However, in your case, being in the city, you may have to threaten to call the police or the pound. You have every right to free range your chickens (assuming you can have them) and if it's the dog coming on your property attacking your property, you have a right to defend your property and recover your losses. I'd have a video camera handy and maybe a can of pepper spray or something the dog would find very unpleasant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by