Random egg dropping in young hens - Black copper marans

MyLittleRedCoop

Songster
7 Years
Jun 21, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
I have 25 hens, of varying ages and breeds.

I have 8 nesting boxes, in a row, with curtains in front of the openings, located under the roost/poop board. I also have a kitty litter bucket nest box, off in a different corner, for a black copper marans hen who refuses to lay her eggs in the normal nests. Some are more "covered" than others, so everyone should be able to find a spot that is to their desired level of privacy.

2 of my hens, a pair of 6 month old black copper marans, have recently started laying. A couple times I have found their eggs in the same corner, kitty litter bucket the older marans hen uses. The rest of the time, I am finding their eggs in the litter on the poop board.
roll.png

Is there some quirky black copper marans nesting secret that isn't mentioned in all the breed references I've looked at?! I figured out how to work around my older BCM (I just put the nest box where she kept laying her eggs). But short of putting a nest box on the roost, does anyone have any ideas?

Sometimes new layers will lay during the night. It happens every so often in my flock. It will resolve itself in time.
I agree, I also notice it happens with my ladies more when it is cold. When I say cold I mean 15F or lower. I think they are all snuggled up on their roost and just don't want to give up their spot. But, that is only a theory since I can't read their minds.

But this is mid-day, after I've opened the pop door for the day and everyone is up and moving. I have been going to the coop more often to try to collect the eggs before they freeze. I'm finding these between Noon and 3pm.
I was just thinking that maybe, they (in general, as a breed) prefer a lighter or more open nesting area? I just found it an odd coincidence that the only hens (out of 10 different breeds) that don't want to lay in the normal nest boxes are all BCMs...

Maybe remove the curtains from a few nests and add some golf balls in there for the newbies to get the idea?

Back
Top Bottom