Random egg layed in run

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bow-chicka-bow-bow, Sep 20, 2011.

1. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    So, I cleaned the coop on Sunday afternoon and put fresh shavings back in and I added a few more shavings to the nest boxes for a little more padding. They had scooted it down and out and to the bottom of the box and was afraid they may crack an egg if there wasn't enough cushion. Anyway, the ladies were a little freaked when I was shoveling out all the stuff, but seemed fine when they were in the run. So, Sunday night, my husband closes them into the coop because it was getting chilly. (We have been leaving the pop door open and they would come and go as they please into the run.) So, when he opens it on Monday morning, he finds an egg next to the door. I had some plastic eggs in the nest boxes but removed them because they kept kicking them out into the coop. Then, this morning, I went out to check on them and give some more food and one of the ladies is standing kinda oddly to the side and I didn't pay her much mind but then a few minutes later, I see one of the other girls pecking at something and I see an egg![​IMG] She had just layed an egg in the run! I grab it up and bring it inside, but I'm wondering if now that I have cleaned the coop and put all fresh shavings in, if they are confused or something. This is the first time I've cleaned it. They are all around 30 weeks and have been laying for a few weeks now.

So, since I found an egg near the pop door and one in the run, is there something I should do to get this one lady to lay in the nest box again? She has always layed in the box, so this is new? Maybe it is just a random thing? I don't know.[​IMG] A few days ago, she would go in the box, sit a while, come out and nothing. So, I don't know what the deal is. Any advice or thoughts.[​IMG]

2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I found an egg in the run the other day but not since. If they do keep laying in the run you can lock them in the coop so they are forced to lay in their nesting box and let them out after that.

3. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    My neighbour found a nest of fifteen under a shrub in his run! One of his pullets clearly took a dislike to the nest boxes on offer so took matters in to her own hands, so to speak. [​IMG]

He put another nest box and she was fine. [​IMG]

4. bow-chicka-bow-bow

bow-chicka-bow-bow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Thanks. I was afraid I had confused them or something with all the new shavings. I'm hoping maybe she was just having an issue with laying the egg since she had been in the box several times on Sunday and never did anything. My husband kept opening the nest box lid and I swear she would look up at him like, "do you mind?!" and I think that is why she never did in the box. Call me crazy, but I feel like I'm bothering them or I feel bad if I go to check and find one in the nest box. If I had to lock them in to lay their eggs I would never be able to let them out because right now, they are laying through out the day. Now, I only have 8 hens, but I just went to check and one of the girls was in the box still. I think the changing of the season and shorter day has them laying at different times. They used to be fairly consistant and were done by 10:30 or so in the morning. Now, I can find an egg anytime up until 4:00 or so in the afternoon.

I'll keep checking and hoping it was just an off day for her. At least I know which one it was. Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by