1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Random egg laying times

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raisinemright, Nov 3, 2013.

1. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    I searched before I started thus thread and couldn't find much. I've had my 6 11 month old Golden comets for almost two weeks now. They laid 3 the first day and been laying 5 a day ever sense except yesterday I got 4. My question is, we check the eggs before my kids go to school (7:20'ish) and nothing. They don't get checked again till I get home and my daughter gets home from school (2:45) then we have 5 usually 3 in the nesting box and 2 in separates corners of the coop. I've checked them on my days off and there is a few eggs around 10 and then some more around 1. Why the random times for laying? And will they ever lay close to the same time and earlier in the morning or is this normal? Thanks for any input/advice on this question..

2. yfjjc0

yfjjc0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    my 6 lay at diff times each day I guess becauce they lay every 26 -27 hrs sometimes they will be done at noon other days it could be 3

3. MaddiesMum

MaddiesMum Chillin' With My Peeps

Most times they will lay around mid day (between 10am-2pm) but depending on the time of year and light schedule it can get them a little confused. Towards the end of this summer every morning I would find a cold egg in the coop by the time I would check on them (9am) and I am still not sure whether she was laying it very early in the morning or later at night.

Maybe you could try putting a clock in the coop with strict time guidelines underneath [​IMG]

4. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    Lol I'll try the clock thing and see how that goes! I'm just glad to hear its normal for the random times.

5. MaddiesMum

MaddiesMum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes it's completely normal! Their egg cycle isn't exactly 24 hours so it is bound to change by a few hours each day. Lots of factors can change when they lay such as time of year (natural light schedule), health, molting, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by