Random idea breeding for predator resistance.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Coopscraft, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:12 AM.

1. Coopscraft

Coopscraft In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2019
    i have been reading that some breeds are more predator resistant than others. I read that the Sumatra chicken can fly really well and jump more than 7 feet with clipped wings. However they also don’t lay very well and are highly prone to going broody. i wonder if one could cross and select to develop a breed that was alert, a good flyer, and a good layer?

Harmony Fowl likes this.
  2. bigz1983

bigz1983 Songster

Aug 9, 2016
    Michigan
    Possibly.
    I heard brown leghorns are good at evading predators, they don't stand out like the white leghorns and are good layers.
    Chickens can't see at night so it doesn't matter how feisty they are if something attacks them in their sleep.

IamRainey likes this.
  3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Pullarius

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    x2.
    Even my White Leghorns rarely, if ever, get taken. They're fast, wary, and very good fliers. One flew onto the roof of my walk-in coop to escape a dog.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had a couple of White Leghorns, Houdini-1 and Houdini-2. They were very good at flying but they were great escape artists too. No matter what coop and pen I put them in they could always find a way out. They eventually disappeared. I found some feathers from one behind the coops and never found anything from the other escapee. I figure either a fox or more likely a coyote got them as we have a lot of coyotes around. They got out one to many times.

5. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    It would be quicker and easier to try existing heritage breeds, rather than start again with the same end in sight... most have medium to good lay rates, medium meat, medium broodiness, all are good foragers and have good predator awareness.

Newyorkrita and bigz1983 like this.
  6. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

I'd concentrate first on making the enclosure impregnable. I think, in the end, you can rely on that far more and much faster than breeding.

Folly's place and bigz1983 like this.
  7. Coopscraft

Jul 6, 2019
    I can build a chicken fort. I was thinking a breed that would be aimed at a “free range” market.

8. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    No bird is ever going to be predator-proof. If it was possible to breed birds to such an extent that no predator could get at them, no predator would eat birds, because all birds would have been naturally selected into being predator-proof.
    Additionally, prey animals (like most birds) do not die of old age in the wild. Disease or a predator will get them first.

It's certainly possible to breed chickens that are harder to catch, but not to a reliable point. You'll still have notable losses. It's still possible for a predator to get into your coop and kill all your birds, as some do. In fact, the only reason that gamefowl (essentially wild chickens) aren't extinct is because they breed fast enough to keep their population up.

ilovechickens90 likes this.
  9. Coopscraft

Jul 6, 2019
    ah

10. bigz1983

bigz1983 Songster

Aug 9, 2016
    Michigan
    How about a Sumatra crossed with brown leghorn?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: