1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Random question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chick rookie, Jan 10, 2014.

1. chick rookie

chick rookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    I have an add up on Hoosier Topics to sell my eggs, yesterday I get an e-mail from a person that says they have a farmers market and wants to buy my eggs for the market. I was wondering if anyone knows if I would get into any kind of trouble since the eggs he would be selling to the public as a retailer with a lic. are coming from me without a lic. I want to do it. It solves my extra egg problem but I don't want any trouble.
    Anyone know???

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I applaud you for thinking this through and understanding there could be legal ramifications. A lot of people wouldn’t bother and then would come on this forum talking about how they are being mistreated after they broke the law.

Each state is going to have its own laws about this. Arkansas will be different than Indiana. I have no idea what Indiana’s laws are. I think your biggest legal risk will be from the State, though it‘s always possible your county, city, or some local jurisdiction will have their additional rules. I’d suggest you contact your local health department and chat with them. I’d try to find out not only the rules and regulations but what the potential punishments might be. At least you can make an informed decision.

The Farmer’s Market probably has its own rules for people selling there. Around here some of them are highly regulated, to the point of telling you how much you can charge for something. Some are extremely laid back. A normal requirement is that the stuff has to come from your farm, but I don’t know what that Farmer’s Market rules are. I don’t know how much legal power they have in enforcing their rules either. One of the local cities has the requirements written into law so they have the power to enforce them. On this, you might want to contact whoever is running that Farmer’s Market and ask questions. Maybe tell them you are considering selling there and want to know the rules and regulations.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  5. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    I found out that as long as I don't sell 30 cases or more I don't need a lic. and all I have to do make my own label with my name and add , a collection date and a 31 day exasperation date. Thats it so I'm good... thank you all for the contacts and letting me know who to get a hold of to find out. I made my first sell to the Farmer Market today. [​IMG]

6. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

I was told by a inspector for the egg board here in Indiana that to sell farm fresh eggs without a license you have to sell them on the property that the chickens are raised on under a certain number of eggs (I've forgotten how many since it was larger than I could ever hope to sell). But I asked if one needed to be inspected by them or the board of health and I was told as long as I abide by not selling off my own property under that amount I would not need any inspection.

7. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    Yes that's right, and the amount is under 30 cases. your good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by