Random rooster question from a newbie

MarlyMonster

Songster
Oct 24, 2018
Hi lovely people!

Quick question.
I farm sit for a wonderful lady that’s got a bunch of chickens and roosters that all roam together in the barn, however not once *knock on wood!!!!!!!* have any of her roosters shown aggression towards me except for the two turkeys when I bring a scoop of feed (they’ll be Christmas dinner soon anyway so not too concerned with them). I know for a fact at least one of them has been there for years and I doubt all the others are that young, cuz I’ve been there since January so if they were young before they would have grown into their rooster behavior by now.

Aren’t roosters usually a little nasty with people? Especially ones that aren’t there daily (I just do the morning and evening feeding every once in a while on a weekend)?

Not that I’m complaining!! I’m actually pretty terrified of anything feathery but starting to get over it after having experienced now fun and sweet chickens are (had to train one for a course at school!). It just seems interesting to me because it would make sense if they try to get feisty since I’m always roaming through their flock.
Does the fact that they’re free range have anything to do with it? There’s quite a few little “cliques” if you will of different chickens and roosters, maybe that factors in?

Really curious so rooster people please explain if you have any insight!

Thank you in advance <3

Yeah the more space they have the less aggressive they seem to be unless they are game cocks then those always fight til the death even when free ranged. Ive had tons of free ranged roosters live together in harmony

Wow that’s actyally quite fascinating that space effects a roosters behavior. Thank you for your reply!

DDB605AF-2F87-43BA-8B1D-22626020CD9B.jpeg
5D733D11-99BB-45A4-86DC-4249418BACD9.jpeg
Hi, I have met roosters I have raised one from a chick he has tried to attack but I always win anyways my aunt has a rooster and they were all terrified of him and they wouldn’t go close I told them that I could tame him and they didn’t believe it and they laughed( well if someone doesn’t believes me I WILL prove it to them no matter WHAT) they were to scared even to open the door to feed him so they just through the food in through the wires anyways I went over there one day and I picked him up I held him he NEVER even pecked me well... maybe he did once they were amazed that I was “brave enough” to do this he was the sweetest thing ever! So roosters can be mean if they feel like they or the flock is being threaten and they will attack sometimes but the “all roosters are mean” stuff is totally not true maybe some roosters who are scared or not treated right but the majority of roosters that I have met are very nice. I hope that helps. Btw if one ever attacks you stand your ground DO NOT RUN! Be the alpha. Hope this helps, the first picture is if me and Paso the “mean” rooster and the second one is my rooster his name is rooster.

Yeah the more space they have the less aggressive they seem to be unless they are game cocks then those always fight til the death even when free ranged. Ive had tons of free ranged roosters live together in harmony

Guessing it has to do with the keepers 'raising' them right....
....and your own confidence moving amongst them.
Either you've gotten over your fear or you hide it well,
human fear and anxiety can set off alarms in the birds.

Free ranging can surely help compared to confined birds.
....and are there other frequent humans visitors?

Could also have to do with 'line' of birds as aggression can be hereditary,
does she raise(hatch) all her own birds or buy them?

Back
Top Bottom