random thoughts while driving...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Nov 2, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Read today about a “new” species.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8087632/New-species-of-monkey-sneezes-when-it-rains.html

New species of monkey that gets hunted alot because it sneezes when it rains. There seems to be fewer than 300 of them left. But, they are “new” because “we” western world just found them.

How arrogant. I have got to wonder how many species have come and gone, eradicated by our tromping around without notice of them, without our ever knowing they were there. The sheer hubris of it astonishes me.

Then I got to thinking while I drove the interstate about the world as it existed when my father was young. There were cars, but not all that many. They were still sort of a rich person’s toy. There was an industrial revolution well underway that was crashed by speculators. but, america had ample fuel or all sorts to drive our mechanistic economic engine. Really think about it.

It is one of those things that you know but don’t recognize. It really has only been 70 maybe 80 years. In that time frame not only the US, but the entire globe allowed itself to become utterly dependent on one resource. We have fought wars and toppled governments, as well as forests, to get that one thing.

Will we develop another “thing” to replace it? Will it “run out” or will we keep finding more of it even while the need for more and more of it grows every day?? Demand rises while supply falls.

It has only been 70 years! A blink of the eye, less than many people’s life span to have changed the world so. Computers, cell phones etc have all changed the world, but none of them to the extent that the advent of the oil age has. They would not have happened without it. How much of every barrel becomes plastic? How much becomes medical products?

We can debate peak oil all day long. There is too much we do not know. But, do we really want to sit around waiting for what we do not know to appear? Or will it vanish without our ever knowing it was there??

A new monkey! This isn’t some microbe or deep water fish. Its a monkey. And we did not know it was there. What else do we not know??

2. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    The fight against finding something else is awfully well financed. It will probably get squashed before it has a chance to be discovered.

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Yeah, I know. [​IMG]

It's like siting on the deck of the Titanic and arguing against another ship!

4. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    It kind of looks like Michael Jackson in his latter years...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:BaHAHAHAHHAHAHA.. you sick puppy.. [​IMG]

6. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    Quote:glad I'm not the only one to see the similarities

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  7. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    He's not dead - he just went home! [​IMG]

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:glad I'm not the only one to see the similarities

Great...now that is ALL I can see when I look at the pic, thanks for that mental picture [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by