Random walnut combs showing up?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Goose and Fig, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Do walnut combs have a tendency to pop up after a few generations? I hatched a mess of EEs/OEs that are all from pea-combed hens and straight/single combed roosters. I got 4 out of 13 with walnut combs, but the only walnut-combed roo I have (Orloff) is immature and some of the babies have feathered legs. (busy cochins, what can I say) [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You sure they're Walnut combs and not just pea combs in a poor enough state to look like such? I've seen a lot of pea combs that look like cusion or strawberry combs before. . . [​IMG]

Otherwise, who knows, maybe one of your EE's actually has a rose comb. (rose + pea = walnut)

3. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Pretty positive they're walnut combs- just like the Orloffs have. All of the EEs have pea combs, and then the roos are cochins with single combs. I'm wondering if any of the cochins were crossed with silkie way back when. How long can that comb type stay hidden?

I'm not going to do that cross again- the roos have since been re-homed- but I don't like how long it takes to sex the chicks with that type of comb. Right now I'm just giving it my best guess, mostly going by size & personality.

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Is there a link on here or online somewhere that shows pics of all the different types of combs? I've never even heard of a "walnut" comb! [​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Walnut Comb:

[​IMG]

Walnut Combs, I don't think, will hide like recessive genes, however they can be created by pea x rose. Pea x single can create Walnut-look a likes, but they're just poor pea combs.

Otherwise, not sure what to say on how you got those. . .

7. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Ewww! Thanks Illia, I'll just stick to my single combs! [​IMG] But seriously, is there anywhere to see ALL the different types of combs? If not, why not?? Probably pics in the APA books, but I'm holding out for the newest one, with HOPEFULLY, Marans included! I think a post of pics for all the different types of combs should be a STICKY somewhere here on BYC...anyone else need to know??

8. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Ewww is right! That's one reason I don't own any silkies. I hope Illia is right and they just have some kind of funky cushion or pea combs. It's very strange that chicks with the same parents have different comb types, but that's what happens when you're working with EEs.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, as a note, a Silkie should NOT normally look like that. . . [​IMG] But yeah, I guess eww could be a word for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by