Random Wild Ducks Hanging Around!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Baylor, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    We have lived in our house on a quiet culdesac for 10 yrs. There is a small pond next to the house probably a few acres in size and we have never had a single wild duck in the pond during this time.
    We have our 10 beautiful little ducks 3 born at Thanksgiving so almost full plummage and the 7 babies born at Christmas. All of the ducks are now housed on the side of the house by the pond. I let the bigger ducks out during the day and the babies take over the 5x10 run. All come back in at night safely tucked away from predators (babies go into a large kennel inside the run with the bigger ducks).
    So in the past 3 weeks we have experienced a water fowl takeover of the pond! It started with a few female mallards. Now we have 6 female mallards there everyday all the time (the other 6 come in occasionally). There are also 3 smaller ducks (no idea what kind but the male is beautifully colored - female is brown but much smaller than the mallard) they are there daily. Today there was a flock of 20 new ducks (no idea what kind they are longer necks, skinny, orange bill and striped color by their wings).

I am not sure what is causing all the wild duck hanging out - it is really neat to see all these different breeds. Should I be worried about the wild ducks with my domesticated too lazy to fly ducks? [​IMG] I usually just watch them quietly and try not to scare them off. They are getting closer to us each week but not close enough to share in the treats just yet!

I cant seem to get any of my ducks to enjoy the pond yet they much prefer shoving their body in a small tupperware container acting as if they are in a lake cleaning themselves! It is hilarious when they actually act like they are diving into the water to get it over on the back of their wings! I could sit and watch and laugh all day long![​IMG]

I do frequently put out veggie treats but usually there isnt a morsel left after the 10 ducks go after all the treats.

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Nothing to worry about the wild ones .Enjoy em! Once yours get to liking that pond though there will more ducks coming. Our local ponds used to have just a few domesticated ones. Then they had babies (people dropped off some more too ) and now we have a bunch of wild redheads and bluebills all over with an occasional canvasback.It takes ducks to make ducks LOL! Try to describe the male or better yet try to get some pics of the wild ones posted and we can tell you what kind they are. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    I spent some time searching and I think the other two kinds of ducks are a mating + pair - wood ducks. The male is beautiful. And an entire flock of black bellied whistling ducks - they are the huge flock of ducks. They first stopped by this am and again at nightfall. I cant wait to see new ducks come stop over! Hopefully we dont have any drop offs as I read how hard it might be for them to adjust to the new surrounding. My pen is only big enough to keep my 10 ducks safe at night and I would feel bad if some domestic ducks start disappearing! I already had 3 ducks disappear or be killed dont want to go through that again.

Hopefully they will stick around and I will try to get some pics posted of them!

4. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Sweet! If ya got blacklbellies or woodies You must be in a southern state like me. Ours get well fed here and good nutrition at the public pond. Hope you dont lose no more of your ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by