Randy Rooster - Is this normal?!

JillsChicks

Songster
12 Years
May 31, 2007
Western NY
It's been awhile since I've posted. Last I reported by daughter and I had hatched 7 roosters out of 8 eggs! Five found nice homes and I presently have two boys and my one hen along with five other hens lent for winter or given to me for good. At 22 weeks old both roosters are still getting along well. One, Buck Buck, has started mating with the hens; Prima gets a little excited when this happens, but has not attacked Buck Buck at all. They both like to watch out for their hens.

Here's my question... Buck Buck gets pretty excited when the kids or I walk into the coop (not about my husband though). He does a little sideways prance dance and sometimes gives me a good ol' peck or jumps on my boot and looks as if he's mating with it. He's never jumped up on my back or attacked me, and he still lets me hold him and snuggle him into my down barn coat when I pick him up.

I this guy very "friendly" or am I starting to see aggressive behaviors? Thanks for any insights into my randy rooster! Ann

It sounds like he's becoming aggressive to me. My roo did that and now we can't turn our backs on him or will get it good. He's well behaved mostly but every now and then he gets us:-( Good luck!

Hi, it definately sound like he is going to start kicking your ankle judging by his sideways step! I guess just wait and see what happens when you have chicks if you have some, that is when they really get protective. That is just my opinion but he sounds like mine!

Have you been attacked by any roos before? As long as you know what to do If and when he starts, youll be prepared.
There are plenty of "roo attacking me" posts here and everyone has differing ways to counteract it, from picking him up for a cuddle to putting him in a pot!!
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom